Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marcia1224 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2007, 02:59 PM
    Worked 6 Months In Ca And 5 Months In Ny
    Can I file separately if I lived and worked in CA 6 months and moved to NY 6months and worked 5 months here? Is it better to file a certain way in this situation
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2007, 03:19 PM
    For federal income taxes, you are going to file once, with both W-2's. For each respective state, you will file on the money you earned while employed in that state, so you will file your state taxes in both states.
    dannysmom Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Jan 15, 2007, 06:23 PM
    More specifically file your federal return using your current address (ex. Ny resident). File a nys tax return as a resident and a ca as non resident
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 15, 2007, 09:12 PM
    Actually, you should file your California and NY returns as part-year residents.

Further, provide a copy of the other state return when you mail in each return; that way, they know how the total income has been allocated. It answers questions before they are asked and resolves problems before they even begin

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'd like to know where I'll be in the next 6 months [ 7 Answers ]

Goodday my name is tolu I'm a male and I'd just like to know what and where I'll be in the next six months. Cheers

Its Been 3 months [ 6 Answers ]

Its been 3 months sense my ex broke up with me. Her and I where together for 3 years and 3 months and engaged at one point in those 3 years. She seems like she moved on and has done things with another guy but still from time t otime our passion gets the best of us. I still Love her with all my...

G2 after 3 months at 17? [ 2 Answers ]

Is it true you can get your g2 three months after getting your g1 as long as you complete all those in class and driving lessons?

1099-MISC Spouse worked from home for 2 months [ 1 Answers ]

1. We are filing married jointly. 2. I have a regular job and get W2... no problem on that end:) 3. Spouse did consulting for a company for 2 months in year 2004 (wrote some computer Programs from home). She got a 1099-MISC from the company she conuslted for. The income is reported on ---...

View more questions Search