Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joesafety Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 04:35 PM
    Why do I have a hot neutral wire?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 29, 2011, 05:00 PM

You need to give us much more information.

For example, how did you determine that your Neutral is hot?

How is the conductor used in the circuit? For example, if used as part of a switch loop, the white or gray conductor can be retasked to carry power from the supply to the switch. It is required that this conductor be re identified by either tape or permanent marker to indicate that it is not functioning as a Neutral conductor.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 29, 2011, 05:23 PM

I agree with Don. This question simply cannot be answered the way it is asked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neutral Wire is Hot [ 11 Answers ]

I have problem with on one of the electrical outlet in my house. The problem is this, I measured from (Neutral to Ground 120V, Hot to Ground 0V and Hot to Neutral 120V). The power on this outlet will shutdown If I plug a coffee maker, radio Ect... into this outlet. Can you please advice what...

Neutral wire is hot [ 5 Answers ]

My air conditioning quit working last night. The service man showed me that the current available to the unit was only 100 volts. He also said that the neutral wire was hot. He could not fix this because he's NOT an electrician. I'm not either but while I wait for the electrician to show up,...

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

Hot neutral wire [ 3 Answers ]

Half of the house, has no power. I checked everything I thought it was, but not having any luck. I checked boxes where the power is not working for loose neutral, nothing. I have checked for lost leg in panel, nothing. I have checked for loose neutrals in panel, nothing. I have also unplugged...

View more questions Search