Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AuntMildred Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 12:16 PM
    Violation of Probation, Maryland Shoplifting PBJ/Violation due to Urine Test
    My 18 year old niece was arrested three times within a week for shoplifting. The first was under $200 worth of electronics she was stopped with before leaving the store, A few days later, she was caught stealing small items totaling under $20 from two stores in a shopping mall. This resulted in 2 charges of Theft Under $100 and 1 charge of Theft Under $1,000. The family scraped together $5000 for an attorney who assured her he had made a deal with the States Attorney, and had her plead guilty. The agreement fell through, if it ever existed at all (doubtful), and she was given Probation with weekly drug testing, and community service. She completed the community service, but in the 3 months she has been on probation, I do not believe she has passed even one drug test due to marijuana. She was ordered to an outpatient treatment program about 2 months ago and attends weekly meetings.
    She just received notice that she has been charged with violating probation on EACH of the previous charges. With THREE simultaneous charges of violating the terms of her probation, what can she expect when she gets to court? Should the family cough up more money for a private attorney? Should she use a public defender? Does she need to have an attorney at all? Nobody in our family has ever been in this kind of situation and we are all very anxious.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2011, 12:36 PM

Hello A:

I can see spending money to help a family member... But, THIS family member looks like she's on a downward path that can't be stopped by you spending more money...

I don't know what she needs... But, if I were you, I wouldn't throw good money after bad.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1st Time Probation Violation - Failed urine test [ 6 Answers ]

I am a 1st time probationee in Travis County , Tx . I have been on probation for 4 months out of 12 for marijuana possession . I am pretty confident that I will fail this test coming up on Friday . Based on my no previous convictions ( other than traffic offences ) is it likely that my probation...

Violation of Probation in Maryland [ 2 Answers ]

My son is now in jail for vop... he got 2 months for one vop and 4 months for the other they ran it together... now because he was still on probation... his probation officer tried to vop him on a case that was closed... which they dismised it... now he has voped him again for another charged that...

Violation of probation in Maryland [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently on 18 months probation for being an accomplice to OBTN CDS FRAUD (someone stole my fathers script pad from my house and I caught the charge for them using it, they never showed up to court). I served 3 weekends is jail for it. Unfortunately I make stupid decisions and got caught...

Maryland violation of probation time limits to file violation [ 2 Answers ]

I was given 5 yrs of probation during which I violated the terms by not paying restituion as indicated . I could not pay for financial reasons and a violation was filed and I was found guilty. The judge sentenced me to 6 months jail and said that I would have only 6 months left after I got out to...

Maryland Violation of probation [ 2 Answers ]

OK in march of 2005 he was arrested for CDS: POSSESSION-MARIHUANA when he went to court in April of 2006 the judge gave him 1 year PBJ to be up in April of 2007. In May of 2006 he was arrested again for CDS MANUF/DISTRIBUTE then went to court for that in January 2007 where he received 3 years...

View more questions Search