Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    woodboat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Wire size for large power upgrade
    I have a meter established at my garage that has 250 amp service. There is nothing except a single light bulb there. 100 and 190 feet away I have two piers. I need to establish. The pier 100 ft away is 100 feet long. The pier 190 ft away is 260 feet long. I need 6 30 amp plugs on short pier and 8 30 amp plugs on the 260 ft pier. I have 4 inch conduit to the start of each pier. I am thinking I should establish disconnects at the start of the pier and put the power panel out on the end of the pier. So first off does it sound like a good idea to use the disconnet. Secondly what size wire do I need to run that far? Of course boats are nothing like houses, most simply run a battery charger or refrigerator so actual usage is very low. The 30 amp twist lock is simply a marine standard connector. I currently have six boats sharing a single 20 amp circuit and it has never tripped. And lastly what is the difference electrically between aluminum and copper? I know that is a broad question so more specifically IE would I use #4 in copper and #2 in aluminum for a given power requirement?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 05:27 PM
    The disconnect at the head end of each pier sounds like a good idea, thou I am not sure how practical it is. These disconnects need to be in gasketed enclosures that still allow manual operation of the switch. I believe these switches are expensive.

And if near salt water, you may need, per local code, NEMA 4X enclosures, which means all stainless steel. Now there is some bucks! A 30 amp disconnect can cost upwards of $300-400... each.

Before you get too involved, just in general, perhaps you should review Article 555, Marinas and Boatyards, of the National Electric Code 2005 edition, to see what applies to your situation.

You have some serious distances to plan for eliminating voltage drop. As you mention, the loads may not be that great, which is good, as voltage drop increases with increased amp draw.

Thou , to keep costs down, aluminum wire can be used for the larger feeders, Article 555 requires all equipment grounding conductors to be copper. Local codes may require all conductors to be copper. You know better than I that moisture, especially salt water, attacks aluminum.

Generally speaking the next size larger aluminum wire is used in place of copper wire, for ampacity. Best to consult with Table 310.16 for the proper size wire of either copper or aluminum.

Voltage drop is then calculated after the minimum size wire is determine to handle the demand load of amps.

I don't have enough information of the actual load in watts or amps of each outlet, and the voltage supplied to calculate what size feeders will be needed.

Plus all the branch circuit wiring and conduit sizes need to be calculated based on the distances from the distribution point and between each outlet.

This is a large complicated project that really needs to be all laid out, designed and calculated, and then seek the approval of local electrical inspector to be sure the design meets local codes.

I happen to live near a coast line with many harbors and marinas, lobster and fishing operations, and the local codes are fairly strict, and they do vary.

They say water and electricity don't mix. I say they both mix very well, all too well.

I wish I could be of more help,I hope I got you thinking in the right direction.
    woodboat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Thanks for the input it is very useful. Where might one find "Article 555, Marinas and Boatyards, of the National Electric Code 2005 "
    Rob
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Actually I have just learned recently, even thou I have looked for it before with no luck, the NEC 2005 can be reviewed in it's entirety at:

NFPA 70: National Electrical CodeŽ

Click on Preview this document
    Agree to the terms and conditions
    Click on table of Contents
    Find Article 555 in the table of Contents and click on it.
    And read away.

You should come to or get close to Art 555, just page through till you find it.

It works a bit cumbersome, but if you can get to it, sure beats buying it or going to the library.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upgrade our 2 wire thermostat to digital? [ 36 Answers ]

We have a thermostat that only has 2 wires, red and white coming out of the wall, and we want to change it to a digital thermostat with slots of W2, G, E, Y, C, B O, R or we also have a unit that has slots W1, G, Y, C, B, O, R So my question is this: Are we able to use either of the 2 new...

03 GMC Sierra HD Tire Size Upgrade [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased new tires for my 03 GMC 2500HD Duramax Diesel. The stock size is 245/75 and I moved up to a 285/75. This changed the ratio on my speedometer, Driver info Center, and Odometer. The DIC cannot correctly calculate MPG, range, or average fuel economy anymore, also the speedometer...

Wire size [ 3 Answers ]

What size wire should you use for a 125 amp three phase circuit? How do you figure that for future reference?

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

View more questions Search