Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KEEDY Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2011, 04:47 PM
    Can i still get fired
    My doctor gave me 5 days off from work because of my migrane headaches but i wasn't suppose to call in anymore because i was given my final warning for call in's so my question is can i be fired
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 02:10 PM

Please don't use all caps.
    Your question doesn't seem entirely clear. Did you mean that you already used all your sick leave? Why do you think that you can get fired exactly?
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Feb 1, 2011, 07:26 AM

If you have been with the company and have worked at least 1000 hours for them than
    You call in and ask to be put on FMLA leave because you will be off a week per doctors orders.

FMLA will hold your job for you as you cannot be fired if you are on FMLA leave for being off work.

If you are not allowed to go on FMLA leave contact your local department of labor and put in an FMLA violation complaint.

Shirley
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2011, 09:19 AM

Just a FYI: FMLA doesn't apply to small businesses with 50 or fewer employees.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Feb 1, 2011, 09:26 AM

A corporation, rather than its separate divisions or locations, normally is considered a single employer under the FMLA. When one corporation has an ownership interest in another, they will be considered separate employers for FMLA purposes unless they meet either the “integrated employer” test or the “joint employer” test. In addition, some separate corporations with no common ownership will be considered “joint employers” of the same employee because they both exercise some control over the work and working conditions of the employee, as is common when workers are supplied by a staffing services firm.

As a general rule, you should analyze coverage for employers and employees separately to determine whether the FMLA applies to a particular situation. For example, even though your organization may be covered because it has over 50 employees (even if it has only one employee in each state), a particular employee may not qualify for coverage if he does not work at a worksite within 75 miles of 50 employees or has not worked enough hours for that employer to be eligible. In addition, you should check state leave laws since these may apply to employers that the FMLA does not cover and may provide leave rights to new or part-time employees who are not eligible for FMLA leave.

There are many variables.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you be fired for having chron's disease? I am afraid I am going to be fired, [ 4 Answers ]

I have worked for a company for 18 years. I was diagnosed with Chron's Disease 5 years ago and sometimes I get really sick and have to be hospitilized and now they think I should be fired and it really gets me. Is that lawful?? :mad:

Fired [ 1 Answers ]

I am a salesperson and my boss is attempting to fire me without notice. The company has A process in place to work with someone prior to termination. This process was not followed. Can I do something to force the process?

Not fired, then fired, after boss was beat [ 6 Answers ]

I was called in the office and confronted about time differences on the time sheet. I had to wait for a customer to get home that morning, (30 min.). I called the office and informed them. So I added 15 extra minutes to my time. I was told that I couldn't do that. I asked was I being fired for it...

View more questions Search