Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maverickwxh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2007, 01:17 PM
    2006 tax: Jan-July Iowa F-1, August-Dec Texas OPT
    My visa status (2006) is: (I'm single, never married)

Jan-July, F-1, Iowa

August-Dec, OPT, Texas (I'm expected to have the H1B issued by this fall)

Q1: What kind of forms I have to work on?

Q2: Is it true that I need 2 W-2 s, one from my old school in Iowa the other from my new
    Employer in TX? How can I get the W-2 from my new employer?

Q3: I don't remember how much my last year's tax return is. What can I do?

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 15, 2007, 09:09 PM
    1) You are still under a F-1 visa, even though you are on OPT. You need to file Form 1040nR or 1040NR-EZ plus Form 8843.

2) If the employer from Texas paid you a salary for your OPT work, then you should get a W-2 automatically. Contact the payroll department to confirm.

3) You do not need that information; your tax refund is NOT taxable income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Texas Tax Refund [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I live in Texas and I have a credit card judgement against me. When I received the judgement papers my husband was very ill and ended up in the hospital, so I didn't respond to the judgement Can they take money out of my checking account, or my income tax refund, or garnish my wages....

Tax filing for 2006 [ 5 Answers ]

Hi: My husband and I came to the US on Sept2000 with an F1, and travel to Costa Rica (CR) every year for 20-30 days in dec/jan.Been filing married filing separate 1040NREZ as advised at my University.No treaty exists with CR so each of us only claim the standard deduction ($3200 for 2004).I will...

Do I really need to pay my tax from May 1st, 2006. [ 2 Answers ]

I came to USA with a H1B visa in May, 2005. Someone told me that person with H1B visa doesn’t pay the state and federal taxes at the first three years. But the director of Human Resources in my center told me that I will have to start paying federal and state taxes on May 1st. Can you help me and...

Which form to fill on OPT but approved H1 starting 2006 [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I am a international student from India. I was working on OPT from Oct 01 2005 till end of year. I filled for my H1 on 18August2005 and it got approved sometime in Nov2005 with the start date for H1 as 12 Feb 2006. Now which form do I need to fill?? Can I still fill the 1040NR-EZ and take both...

F1 in Oklahoma-OPT in Texas-H1B in Texas [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all!!!:) First at all, this is a great forum! I've been reading a lot of posts, and they are very very useful. Now I got a question for the tax experts and non-experts too:p!! This is my case: I was studying and working as a Teacher Assistant in Oklahoma from 08.26.02 to 03.06.05....

View more questions Search