Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 01:13 PM
    Fresh fruit treats for Muttley
    Hi Guys!

I have another question concerning my yorkie Muttley.

I have had to really watch his diet closely because I overfed him at first , not ever having to care for such a small dog before.

He gained a lot of weight... fast too!

For the last few months I cut way back on treats limiting them 2 small pieces of boiled chicken , or beef as treats, and a half cup of low cal dog food 1/4 c in the morning and 1/4 in the afternoon.

He is now looking... well not real slim , but has lost a lot of the weight he put on , or I should say I put on him, and since he is a FOOD HOUND
    To the extreme his diet has been tough.

Since he is such a good dog , incredibly good really, I would like to give him more treats because he is nuts over getting treats.

He loves any kind of fresh fruit I have let him try , so I was wondering if a section of orange , or slice of pear ,peach, strawberry or the like would be good for him. And how much might be too much?

I ask this because at this moment we were "sharing" a tangerine and I was going to give him a section because they are small, but dropped half of it.

Did I mention how fast he can be at times?
    Real fast,. he grabbed it and turned into a gold and black blur, I was laughing too hard to do much, and in a way I "gave " it to him, but am somewhat concerned about too much fresh fruit at a time, and would fresh fruit be OK as treats on a regular basis and not be too fattening?

Thanks for all the help you have already been!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 01:19 PM

Most fruits are fine for dogs but not all. Do not give him garlic, grapes, raisins, egg plant, onions. There are other so do some research on the net. Don't make his diet all frit or even all veggies but as treats fruits is fine.
    Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 03:19 PM

I find it surprising that grapes are not good for him and have even given him a couple.
    But with so many choices there is no problem cutting out anything even questionable.

Thanks again
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2011, 11:08 PM

My Cyrus is a veggie nut. His favourite is carrots, give him a chunk of carrot and he's happy for 10 minutes. Frozen is even better in summer.

Apples are one that most dogs like, just make sure they don't get the seeds.

Strawberries contain a lot of natural sugars so they are only an 'occasional' treat.

Oranges/tangerines etc I honestly have no idea, I would imagine they would also be high in sugar content but in small doses they can't hurt.
    Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 11:49 PM
    I have and intend to keep the fruity treats to small pieces.

I wanted to be sure it was OK because I haven't heard of
    Too many dogs that would even eat fruit.

My previous pets were a Great Dane and a German Shepard neither
    One was interested in fruit or veggies, strictly carnivores.

I appreciate your input, I want to be sure I'm doing
    What's best for Muttley and trying not to spoil him too much.
    But the little guy is so good it is hard not to.

I think I'll see how he likes carrots. That would be a treat
    Without as much sugar that the fruits have, and may be better for him.

Thanks Shaz
    Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 11:56 PM
    Comment on martinizing2's post
    I was concerned about the half tangerine he got hold of earlier
    But he is still on his regular schedule for poop breaks. I was concerned
    It could cause a problem but it seems not to be so.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 29, 2011, 08:34 AM

Worth reading Toxins that Affect Dogs - Veterinary Information

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He treats me like a child. [ 5 Answers ]

My husband of 4 years treats me like a child. He acts like I'm totally incapable of doing household chores and taking care of my kids. He is a main manager for a huge retail chain and bosses people around all day and when he gets home he treats me like an employee. He will ask/tell me to do...

How to keep fresh fruit and vegetable in a shop? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know the shelf life of some of the common fruits and how best it can be stored. And also the fruits that always have a ready market. Thanks

Tree with compound leaf and green fruit. Fruit is a drupe. The fruit as Rhamnus but l [ 1 Answers ]

A Tree with compound leaf and green fruit. Fruit is a drupe. The fruit as Rhamnus but leaf nut. I want its name.

My boyfriend treats me different [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have been together for 7 months. When we are alone he treats me perfectly. When we first got together he treated me like a princess all the time. Now its only when we are alone. We go out in a big group of friends usually and he just ignores me or barely speaks to me. He...

He treats me different [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am 12 and my dads first child, since then he had another child who is my half brother. Recently my dad and step mum fell out. I hardly get to see my brother. But my dad is always treating me differently to my brother in a bad way. PLEASE HELP ME TO GET MORE ATTENTION OFF HIM!! :mad: :(...

View more questions Search