Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elisha Grey Posts: 31, Reputation: 0

Jan 15, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Convert text file for CD player
    Can I convert a text file--presumably ASCII--to a format I can burn to and played on an ordinary CD?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 15, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Text files cannot be "played" on a CD, they can be burnt as data and accessed that way.
    What are you trying to do ?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 15, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Elisha Grey, congrats on being able to operate the rating feature.
    Now go back and reread what I wrote!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 15, 2007, 01:57 PM
    First may I call your attention to guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

Since Ben's response was factually correct and asked for more help, your negative rating was uncalled for.

A regular text file cannot be converted to anything that can be played on a CD Player. However, what you can do is get a Text to Speech utility, that can take a plain text file, no matter where its stored and "read" it back. But not on a regular CD player. The only possibility I can think of is somehow recording what the computer reads as a WAV file that can then be burned to a CD.

Now there may be some tools I'm not aware of that may be able to do this. Your best resource for such a tool would be an organization that provides support for the blind.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 03:41 AM
    Hi Elisha,

Like Scottgem, I am also unaware of any speech synthesisers that can export to wav or any other file that would be useful to you.

However I found this open source project:
    Text2Speech - Home

On their about page, they state that one of their aims for upcoming versions is to provide text to wav or mp3 capability. This may well be one to keep an eye on. The current version was released in November, so I assume that it is still being developed.

I agree, that blind services may know of something to help you out.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jan 16, 2007, 05:22 AM
    Hi Elisha,
    There are quite a few shareware programs that advertise as being capable of this, text to speech to wav or mp3 -- though this is the only seemingly free one I was able to find:

http://www.geocities.com/bholio/t2w.html

Not sure about the quality, though it doesn't appear to cost anything.
    Hope this helps. Take care. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

WinAVI won't convert entire file anymore [ 1 Answers ]

I have a registered copy of WinAVI 6.3 that I've previously used to convert an AVI file to VOB. Then it stopped working right. It would convert to a certain percent, usually 13%, and then stop. So I reinstalled and tried a different AVI file. Same problem. Has anybody else had this problem? How can...

XPHome: How to turn a directory listing into a text file. [ 8 Answers ]

I've got a folder of 4000 files. I'd like to convert the directory of them into a text file to show someone. How I do that? Thanks!

If I file 1040NR, do I file state as nonresident? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I worked in several states but I am foreigner. Does that mean that I file state taxes as non-resident as well?

Convert .rar file to MPEG or AVI to play on DVD [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I downlaod some file from internet in .rar format. I want to burn cd and play on dvd but for that I have to convert .rar format in to .mpeg or . Avi format. Could anybody know how to convert .rar format into other format. Please help me

Vb + text file (notepad) [ 0 Answers ]

I have a program that reads and writes to a flat (textfile) Currently I am using the Microsoft scripting runtime Control.that works fine for reading , but not for writing All I want to do is exp read from line 230 and write it to Line 13 I will app. If anyone could help Thank you ...

View more questions Search