Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Robert111 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2011, 08:45 AM
    Hot Water Heater And Vacation
    Hello,

Have the typical gas fired hot water heater in house; the vertical cylindrical kind.

Never thought about this much, but after plumbing sprang a pinhole leak, thought I'd better.

When going on summer vacation, I guess the smart thing would be to just turn off the house water, and put the gas contgrol on PILOT. Any caveats to this, or reasons not too ?

In Winter, I'm a bit more concerned. Do exactly the same thing ?

House has a forced hot-air furnace, so I don't have to worry about always having a water supply to it, which I think, but am not sure, the building codes require.
    Again, simply put on PILOT and shut the house water off ?

If there ever is any sort of leak or other problem with my gas fired water heater, is there typically a thermal shutoff that would take care of things, winter or summer ?

Any thoughts on all of this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 09:02 AM

Yes, if you are leaving for any length of time shut off the house main supply and turn the water heater to pilot only, simmer or winter. The pilot keeps moisture from building up in the combustion chamber. Regarding your last question. Lets say you leave for a month but leave everything turned on. The heater springs a good size leak. The tank will continue to drain 24/7 and refill 24/7 and it will be heating almost every minute of the day, no thermal shutoff
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 09:29 AM

I agree with Bob. The best insurance you can buy is to turn off the water at the main supply valve. This true whether you have a history of pin hole leaks in pipe or not. Think about what would happen if you are away for a week and a washer hose burst. What if a supply tube to a faucet or toilet on the top floor came apart (I've seen it happen). Or during the winter months, the electricity went off, your heating system failed and pipes froze and burst (I've seen it happen). Turn off water and turn water heater to vacation or to pilot.

Took me about 6 months to convince the wife of this. She didn't want to do it because the neighbor would be coming in to water her plants. Well, leave her bucket of water.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 09:37 AM

Yep, neighbor was on a trip and his 3rd floor toilet supply line cracked. Leaked for 3 weeks,house was nearly totalled by the insurance compny with $375,000 in repairs. Insurance paid everything except his $3000 water bill which he had to pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Keep hot water heater on while on vacation? [ 2 Answers ]

Is it less expensive to keep hot water heated while I'm on vacation by keeping the temp at it's regular setting, or should I turn the thermostat on pilot?

Hot water heater vacation setting [ 3 Answers ]

I have an electric hot water heater and turn it off when I am away for 2 months. But what about 2 weeks, 6 days, or? What is the cut-off point (i.e. how many days) when it will take more energy to heat the water again than it does to leave it on? Many thanks! Sally

Vacation mode/hot water heater [ 2 Answers ]

Our hot water heater keeps resetting itself to vacation mode. How do we fix this?

Vacation hot water heater setting [ 6 Answers ]

I'll be away from my house for several months. I will shut off the main water supply to the house while away. Should I use the Vacation setting on my hot water heater or turn it off entirely?

Hot water heater - vacation [ 1 Answers ]

I want to shut off my water supply while I am on vacation. I plan to put the gas control valve on "pilot" while I am gone, and let the pilot continue to burn. Is this OK? Should I open a hot water faucet in the house to relieve any possible pressure buildup due to thermal expansion? The heater...

View more questions Search