Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrew1384 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 08:15 PM
    Leak from the bathroom sink
    I recently found a leak in the bolt above the hot water valve (see image). I shut the valve off to stop the leak but when I turned it back on, the leak was gone but there was also hardly any water coming from the tap. Is the leak and water pressure issue something I can fix myself or should I call a plumber?
    Attached Images

jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Jan 27, 2011, 09:39 PM

Could be sediment caught in valve restricting the water?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 09:12 AM

That's not a bolt but I know what you mean. When you tightened the nut you probably broke loose some build up of junk like jack dandy says, the junk is now clogging your faucet. Is it clogged for both hot and cold or just the one? Remove the aerator to see if it improves.

Jan 28, 2011, 09:53 AM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Both hot and cold water both lack pressure now. I'm also assuming that if pressure is restored, the leak will continue. Could you explain what the aerator is? And do you think it's the nut that is causing the leak? Thank you for your help

Jan 28, 2011, 09:53 AM
    Comment on jack dandy's post
    Possibly. I took the nut off but was then unable to remove the hose. What tool do I need to do this?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 10:03 AM

If both hot and clod are low pressure the clog has moved into the faucet nd/or aerator. How to Clean or Replace a Faucet Aerator - Plumbing Repair Guide - ACME HOW TO.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't find leak under bathroom sink [ 5 Answers ]

There is water under my bathroom sink. About 1 1/2 cups. I can't find where the leak is coming from. None of the pipes or lines are wet. I have run the water for minutes and no drip. However after several days of the area being dry I will check it and there is the water again and lots of water...

Leak in elbow under bathroom sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a leak in the elbow under my bathroom sink. Leaks when water is on full force. Recently, I had taken apart to clean out the stopped up drain. Thanks for any help you can give. PRobine

Leak under bathroom sink [ 20 Answers ]

I have a link under the bathroom sink that I'm having a hard time figuring out. The link is a pretty steady drip when the faucets are running. The leak originates behind the nut that screws onto the coupling from the pipe coming out of the wall. From the p trap a pvc pipe slides into a larger...

Leak in pipe in bathroom sink [ 2 Answers ]

I have a leak in my bathroom sink pipe. The leak is in the top of the pipe coming out of the wall(hole in top). I have tried to take the pipe out by twisting it to no avail:( . Should I try to saw the pipe, or call in a plumber? What is the best way to fix this leak? I tried to use tape and...

Leak under bathroom sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one handle bathroom sink. Underneath the sink, under the escutcheon, there is a small leak of water coming out of the middle hole. It is the same hole that the stopper plug rod goes up into. It's the hole between the hot and cold water line connections. Where is this leak coming from and...

View more questions Search