Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Animus Posts: 93, Reputation: 3

Jan 27, 2011, 11:41 AM
    Why is rapeseed oil bad?
    I have heard from a number of people that I should never buy rapeseed oil. Most people summarize their reasons with a "its called rape-seed for a reason"

So I look it up and all I really got was this.

Rapeseed oil has both omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, leading some people to suggest that it is a very healthy oil. However, studies have also linked rapeseed oil with some health problems, which would indicate that a closer analysis of rapeseed oil for human consumption may be in order.

*** is this kind of bull****, is that all there is out there? Does someone know more than I do about this?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 12:06 PM

We know this oil in Canada by its name 'canola'. Used extensively for human consumption as a cooking oil. I think rapseed is getting a bad 'rap'. Sure its pure form it has many uses, biodiesel, whatever; but it has been modified and perfectly suitable for humans.

I think rumourmongers are doing a good job with this one.
    Tick
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2011, 12:11 PM
    It's an urban myth:
    snopes.com: Canola Oil and Rape Seed
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 12:30 PM

I wonder why though, they are bad mouthing this product ? I am not dead yet from using canola oil, or is anyone else in Canada.

A natural product as rapa, is wonderful it so many uses can come out of it.
    Tick

Jan 27, 2011, 12:48 PM
    Does it have something to do with the production of the plant itself? I heard that Dole was giving weapons to terrorists in exchange for allowing them to pick their bananas. This is bad rap for banana's that are naturally healthy for you. Maybe something went down with the production of plant or the companies that work with it.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2011, 01:06 PM

Animus, look at the responses carefully.

Jan 27, 2011, 01:11 PM
    Comment on RickJ's post
    What kind of answer is that?

Jan 27, 2011, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Is there information regarding this subject that doesn't come from a .com site. There is a part of this website you directed me to that goes...

"In other words, it's a healthy oil. One shouldn't feel afraid to use it because of some internet scare loosely based on half truths and outright lies."

This is ridiculous, by this writers logic we shouldn't even believe what she is writing because her suggestion is posted on a non-scholastic, unscientific website. I would ask her how we should filter out half-truths if her attempt to uncover the truth gets slapped on an independent unregulated website?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2011, 04:09 PM
    What websites do *you* consider to be legitimate that are not .com?

Did you check the sources at the link I posted? They know much more about it than you do.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 04:40 PM

Here's a thought. If you're worried about it's effects, don't use it.

NeedKarma gave you the information you requested. If you don't like the source, then research it yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need to know symptoms of a bad egr and oil cooler in ford 6.0 diesel [ 2 Answers ]

Need symptoms of bad egr and oil coolers for 6.0 diesel

How bad is it to drink castor oil [ 2 Answers ]

How bad is it to drink castor oil to induce labor at 40 weeks

Oil Pressure gauge, going bad? [ 2 Answers ]

My f-150 has only 77.000 original miles,I'm the 2nd owner. Previous owned said not to freak out when I came to a stop and the oil pressure gauge drops to nothing,that it had always done this. I've put 3,000 miles on it since and it does the same thing with me,but it doesn't seem to be going dry of...

View more questions Search