Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockstar008 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2007, 10:35 AM
    My bank account is frozen, will they take my income tax?
    Hi everyone, I live in NYC... im having this problem with 4 credit cards... I have all this cards with a collection agency, believe me I learned my lesson about credit... anyway, they took me to court and I didn't go, so now they froze my bank account. There's only one collection agency for all 4 cards, and I'm trying to make a payment arrangement with them but they want me to make 4 different payment arrangements even tough is on collection agency with all 4 cards... My question is, will they take my income tax return? They want me to pay them 30% upfront of what I owe them, and the only way I can do that is if I can get my income tax return... I want to resolve this matter ASAP and I was thinking of getting the rapid refund filing so I can get the money in 24 hours and pay them? If I do that will they take the money? Since is HSBC bank who will make the rapid refund and they as a bank probably have a lien or something against me... some people told me to just do it directly with the IRS and wait 4 weeks for a check, since I can't have it deposit to my acct. because is frozen... please any advise would be appreciate it...
    kayjay Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstar008
    Hi everyone, I live in NYC.....im having this problem with 4 credit cards...i have all this cards with a collection agency, believe me i learned my lesson about credit....anyway, they took me to court and i didnt go, so now they froze my bank account. Theres only one collection agency for all 4 cards, and im trying to make a payment arrangement with them but they want me to make 4 different payment arrangements even tough is on collection agency with all 4 cards...My question is, will they take my income tax return? they want me to pay them 30% upfront of what i owe them, and the only way i can do that is if i can get my income tax return.....i want to resolve this matter ASAP and i was thinking of getting the rapid refund filing so i can get the money in 24 hours and pay them? if i do that will they take the money? since is HSBC bank who will make the rapid refund and they as a bank probably have a lien or something against me......some people told me to just do it directly with the IRS and wait 4 weeks for a check, since i can't have it deposit to my acct. because is frozen.....please any advise would be appreciate it......
    rockstar008,

I live in NYC too, and I've been down that road! I can tell you that a collection agency CAN NOT seize your income tax refund unless you have the money sent via direct deposit into the account that they have frozen. I'm a little confused though, you say HSBC MAY have a lien against you?? Credit cards don't issue liens (that is against property), they will get a judgment against you which allows them to seize your bank accounts, and/or garnish your wages, which HSBC can't do, unless one of your credit cards is from HSBC. I haven't done rapid refund in many years, so I am not sure about whether they could just issue you a check (assuming that now they put the money directly into a bank account.), instead.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2007, 11:07 AM
    First, DO NOT do a Rapid Refund. That's just another loan at high interest rates. Second, if you do a Rapid Refund and your tax refund is seized, then you have nothing to pay the loan back.

When you do your return do NOT check off Direct Deposit. Have them send you a check. Open a new account to deposit that check and when it clears give them the 30%. I'm not 100% sure whether they can or can't attach your return (some places allow it), but if you do what I said, it should be safe.

If HSBC is one of the creditors, they could seize anything you have in accounts with them. Even if they didn't have a judgement, which you say they do, many card agreements state they can seize money in your accounts within their bank to pay outstanding debts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen Bank Account [ 7 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen because of an outstanding credit card balance. I live paycheck to paycheck, I called the bank and they just said an order was put through and that there was nothing they could do. I called the number the bank gave me for the company that got the judgement. I...

Frozen account [ 3 Answers ]

My Bank account was frozen for a past creditor,and I have direct deposit going into my account next week. Will I be able to withdraw my funds?

Bank account frozen [ 1 Answers ]

I've read several questions on the topic of judgements from creditors freezing or levying bank accounts. Unfortunately, we received some very bad advice from a debt settlement company and allowed a judgement to be put on us. The debt is mine from being unemployed for an extended time but I was...

Frozen bank account [ 1 Answers ]

A judgement has my bank account frozen. Apparently the credit card company sued me after I moved and sent notices to my old address for 4 years. The debt collectors/bottom feeders told me the credit card company sent me a settlement offer in October 2006 to my old address. I never received any...

Bank Account frozen on Unemployment [ 6 Answers ]

Information needed.. My estranged husband just found out that his bank account has been frozen due to a judgement awarded to Cohen and Slamowitz, that he didn't even realize was happening.. The only funds in there at the moment are unemployment benefits.. I already know that in NYS they...

View more questions Search