Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poofie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2011, 09:50 PM
    How does abused spouse still married due to health and lack of income leave spouse?
    After counseling, police victim advocate and social workers, everyone says leave, but due to no recent physical abuse (tons of verbal, neglect, antagonistic mentally cruel treatment daily), and due to his income being included though we've lived separately for 2.5 years. I cannot qualify for separate low income facilities. ( no legal separation in Fl or TX) Because we are still married. I was asked by my 17 yr old and told to come back with my failing health, and I truly missed my daughter.. so it was agreed, I came to live with them (he and my daughter in Texas) Completely broke, cannot afford health care ( cancer, diabetic, hbc, vision etc.) The good thing is, I am a veteran and part of my service connected disability has granted me some care. I need full coverage which he has with the military. He just retired. We have a home but I cannot afford it without a roommate,(idea which he dissapproves of). I am not in the best of health, I just want to be free of this without making myself homeless or lose what is left of what I own. I have been selling my things to survive, and I work part time as I can at my job on which I make a pitance. If anyone really knows how to solve a quagmire let me know.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2011, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by poofie View Post
    After counseling, police victim advocate and social workers, everyone says leave, but due to no recent physical abuse (tons of verbal, neglect, antagonistic mentally cruel treatment daily), and due to his income being included though we've lived seperately for 2.5 years. I cannot qualify for seperate low income facilities. ( no legal seperation in Fl or TX) Because we are still married. I was asked by my 17 yr old and told to come back with my failing health, and I truly missed my daughter..so it was agreed, I came to live with them (he and my daughter in Texas) Completely broke, cannot afford health care ( cancer, diabetic, hbc, vision etc.) The good thing is, I am a veteran and part of my service connected disability has granted me some care. I need full coverage which he has with the military. He just retired. We have a home but I cannot afford it without a roomate,(idea which he dissapproves of). I am not in the best of health, I just want to be free of this without making myself homeless or lose what is left of what I own. I have been selling my things to survive, and I work part time as I can at my job on which I make a pitance. If anyone really knows how to solve a quagmire let me know.
    I think your best option at this point would be to sit down and have a consultation with a family law attorney in your area; many of them will do free consults. There could be any number of things which could work for OR against you. For example: did you work during the marriage? Who was the child's primary caregiver? Are you now legally disabled? The list goes on and on and on. All of these things play into what you may or may not be granted financially in a divorce.

There are too many ifs, ands or buts in this situation for us to give you an accurate answer over the Internet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married filing separately, spouse lives outside US: does spouse need ITIN? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is German, living in Europe full time. We got married in the US in September 2006. My husband is applying for a green card but meanwhile cannot enter the US, due to immigration rules. Therefore we have not lived in the US together...

Spouse Health Insurance [ 4 Answers ]

My friend, who retired from the military and receives health care insurance, wants to Know if his wife is eligible to receive the same health care as well.

Mental Health of former spouse [ 1 Answers ]

I am a father of two wonderful boys. Their mother recently moved to FL. She is emotionally unstable and despite numerous petitions to the court for custody, I have been turned down. She is emotionally labile and verbally and emotionally abusive. I was abused by her for three years before finally...

Asking a spouse to leave [ 2 Answers ]

My spouse and I have decided to split after 10 yrs. Having my spouse threatens to move out all the time and hasn't done it. This has emotionally drained me. I do count on my spouse to pay certain bills but I can no longer handle being in the same house together. We are both on the mortgage but...

View more questions Search