Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aRatFlail Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2011, 05:36 PM
    Statement for Recipients of Interest Income
    I received in the mail a tax document from the state I used to live in which states, for box 1, "Shows TOTAL OVERPAYMENT before credits, refunds, contributions, consumer's use tax payments and offsets of state and local income tax for a previous tax year. Any refund or overpayment for this amount should have previously been issued or credited to your account. If there is any entry in this box, that amount may be taxable on your federal return if you deducted the tax paid as an itemized deduction for that year."

There is no interest paid on the tax refund, as stated in box 2, and its for the year 2009. I've already filed my 2010 taxes, and now I have this document. What exactly do I do with this? I apparently need to amend my tax return, but how? It says the form takes the place of 1099-G and 1099-INT. I'd already put in a 1099-INT with my credit card and interest income on that, so do I try and go back and stack this on as well?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 04:29 PM
    If you did NOT itemize on your 2009 tax return, you can destroy the form you got. It is a Form 1099-G, which reports the state refund to the IRS.

State and local withheld from your salary is an itemized deduction on your federal return. If you claim that itemized deduction, then later get a state or local tax refund, that refund MUST be considered taxable income for your 2010 tax return.

If you DID itemize, the refund amount, if over $300, WILL be noticed by the IRS. They may automatically adjust your filed return to include the income, or they may send you an audit notice asking WHY you did not include that income on your return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 statement for recipients of interest income [ 4 Answers ]

Hi my name is Meli, and I received a statement for recipients of interest income for calendar year 2007 and at the bottom of the statement it states along these lines: "the amount of interest paid or credited to you in the calendar year shown is on an overpayment of federal tax. The amount may...

Multiple-step income statement in good form and retained earnings statement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would like someone to check to see if I did this correctly, if I did not then please help. Thanks The Problem is: The following pretax amounts pertain to River Corp. for the year ended December 31, 2008. Sales... $400,000 Operating Expenses... 84,000 Extraordinary gain... 30,000...

Income statement, owners equity statement and balance sheet [ 6 Answers ]

Les Fleurs, a boutique in Paris, France, had the following accounts in its accounting records at December 31, 20X2 (amounts in Euros, denoted as "E") Purchases………………... E250,000 Freight In……………… E8,000 Sales discounts…………. 4,000 Purchase returns…….. 7,000 Inventory Sales…………………. ...

Financial Statement with Balance sheet and income statement [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the problem: The Hobart Company incurred the following transactions during 2003: A. Acquired $50,000 of cash capital from owners B. Paid $10,000 to acquire manufacturing equipment C. Paid $5,000 cash for materials used in production D. Paid $2,000 for wages of production workers...

View more questions Search