Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wap Posts: 177, Reputation: 54

Jan 15, 2007, 07:42 AM
    Cracked mouth
    I sometimes suffer from cuts at the side of my mouth, especially when I am eating fruit and things. I have to chop melon up as to eat it from a big chunk seems to nip. My mum reckons this is a B Vitamin deficiency?
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jan 16, 2007, 01:22 AM
    Hi Wap,
    Your mother is correct. This is typically a symptom of vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) deficiency. Vitamin B2 is essential to the health of mucous membranes which include the lining of the mouth.
    Take care. :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 01:37 AM
    Just for your information:

Foods rich in B2: Riboflavin is found naturally in asparagus, okra, chard, cottage cheese, milk, yogurt, meat, eggs, and fish, each of which contain at least 0.1 mg of the vitamin per 3-10.5 oz (85-300 g) serving.

Of course eating more of these foods will only help you if you have primary deficiency.
    If your body has trouble taking up B2 (secondary deficiency), you need to see a doc and see if they can do anything for you.

Jan 16, 2007, 02:44 AM
    Thank you. Funnily enough, I eat yoghurts almost every day! I do like eggs, I try to eat them a few times because they have B vitamins. Years ago I actually suffer from a B12 deficiency, I had to have a couple of injections. Maybe I suffer more from a vitamin deficiency in the winter too.
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 02:50 AM
    Oh well maybe your body has trouble absorbing it then, this is worth checking out as it can be a symptom of other more serious problems

Jan 16, 2007, 02:58 AM
    I think it could be linked to when I am a bit rundown too. It only took about 2 days to clear up there. I had it at the weekend and now it's gone.
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 03:06 AM
    Oh, good to hear it! :)
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wap
    I sometimes suffer from cuts at the side of my mouth, especially when I am eating fruit and things. I have to chop melon up as to eat it from a big chunk seems to nip. My mum reckons this is a B Vitamin deficiency?
    I would have a Doctor check it out, but the one time I had a similar problem it was because I was eating too much citrus, even the sking under my rings would turn blackish, at one point after eating a lot of ornages, my tongue turned blace, I had too much acid in my system, when I cut back, it all went back to normal.:cool:
    Junior GP Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 01:00 PM
    It is possible to be a vitamin deficiency. However, it could just be dry skin on the sides of your mouth. Maybe you should try Lipsyl or some other cream to see if this clears up the problem.
    If it is a vitamin deficiency, then you should ask your GP for advice on a balanced diet which could boost your Vitamin intake.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 10, 2007, 04:00 PM
    It wouldn't hurt to occasionally take a vitamin B Complex tablet at least a couple of times a week. A 50 mg tab is water soluble and will help the nervous system and food digestion. If you notice a lot of sports and high energy drinks are including B Complex to give quick adsorption into the system. Hospital emergency rooms give B Complex injections for accident shock trauma victims also. Look at the label on sports bars and you will see a complete spectrum of the Vitamin B compounds as a major part of the nutrition. Nm:)
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 10, 2007, 04:05 PM
    WAP, I forgot to add a secret to quickly healing cracked mouth and kanker sores. Just take the peelings from an orange and use the white side pressed into the sore or cut for about five minutes and the next day it will be rapidly healed. Don't need to buy anything but an orange.:)

Mar 12, 2007, 04:01 AM
    Thanks! I will give it a try
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Mar 12, 2007, 04:11 AM
    That condition has also been linked to a zinc deficiency. Or it could be the toothpaste you use. I get the same thing happen if I use whitening toothpastes which contain Bicarbonate of soda.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Tank Cracked [ 28 Answers ]

Toilet tank has a hairline crack along bottom from the mounting bolt and up right hand side about 4 inches and lets water seep out. What can I apply to the inside of the tank to seal the crack? If it cannot be repaired, where can I find replacement ?- It is American Standard, Model Number...

Cracked Furnace Pipe [ 49 Answers ]

Hello everyone I have a quick question. One of the pipes which is attached to our furnace and leads outside cracked about 8 months ago. The repairman came and took care of it using waterproof adhesive sealant. A few weeks ago, another repairman came to clean up a natural gas leak and I asked...

Cracked Toilet Metal Drain [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, First of all, I would like to wish all an awesome Thanksgiving. Now to the problem. In the downstairs 1/2 bathroom of my 12-year old house, the toilet drain is cracked about two inches below the flange; I have a cast iron flange. The drain is in a slab and is not a straight drain. I...

Cracked cast iron bell [ 6 Answers ]

cracked cast iron bell -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have been remodeling amy bathroom and the toilet flange was some kind of metal going into the cast iron drain pipe. I cut the metal down to the cast iron then took out the metal in the...

Cracked Heels [ 1 Answers ]

This is actually not a question but an advise to those who have really dry, ugly heels... Try putting lotion or Petroleum jelly on the dry part and put on socks afterwards. This will help keeping the heels moistened and after a few days, you'll get good results. ;)

View more questions Search