Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lindseyd1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2011, 08:45 PM
    Can custodial parent claim child for taxes if she doesn't work?
    My husbands ex(one night stand) fights with us every year about who claims their daughter on taxes. She does not work and he pays over half the child support. She has a live in boyfriend who thinks that he can claim her. My husband has never signed any papers on this topic and neither has she. But, to my understanding, she does not work and therefore has nothing to file. He, (ex's boyfriend) collects unemployment(not sure of guidelines on filing taxes) but has no rights to their daughter. My husband is in the military and only sees his daughter a few times a year, if that. Its not his choice, its his job. Anyway, she seems to think that just because the child lives with them, that her boyfriend can legally claim her on his taxes... Does anyone know the guidelines on this subject or know how I can find out? Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2011, 12:28 AM
    The custodial parent has the ultimate right to claim the child, but the child has to be claimed on the custodial parent's return, NOT her boy friend's return.

The deciding issue will be WHO can prove they provide OVER half of the child's total support. Even though your husband pays child support, I doubt it represents over half of the total support. The boy friend MAY be able to prove that HE does provide that support level.
    felix951 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2011, 12:40 PM
    I have the a similar question. My ex is unemployed she get 1200 a month in unemployement plus 250 in child support for her other child and I pay 600 a month. She can't claim our daughter she told our older son to claim her and he lives with me and I help support him as well. Shouldn't I be able to claim her. I think the system is all wrong any advice?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 07:01 PM
    If the older son did NOT provide more than half of the child's support, then he cannot LEGALLY claim his sister/step-sister on his return.

However, unemployment compensation IS taxable income, so she may have a need for the exemption herself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the non custodial parent claim the child on their taxes? [ 0 Answers ]

My ex husband and I split in August 2010, does he have the legal right to claim my son on his 2010 taxes? I have a child support order stating that Im the custodial parent.

Non-Custodial Parent Paying College Costs-Can I Claim Child? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a divorced father of a 19 year old daughter in college. In my divorce decree it states that I am the parent to claim the minor child and I have done so for the past 14 years. During the past year I contributed over $4,000 of her tuition, her mother has contributed nothing. The issue is that...

Can a non-custodial parent claim a child [ 1 Answers ]

Can a non-custodial parent claim taxes for a child if the child does not live with him?

Claiming your kids on taxes when custodial parent doesn't even work [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend pays quite a bit in child support. His ex-wife with his 2 kids and her new child and new husband recently re-located to the LA area from Texas. The ex-wife doesn't work and yet her new husband claims my boyfriend's kids on his taxes. It doesn't seem fair that another man is...

Can the non-custodial parent claim the child on their taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 5 yrs old and her father has not done anything for her. Now out the blue, he wants to be in her life. We have a temperary child support established ( as of today). He wants to claim her on his taxes next year. Can he do this being that he is the non-custodial parent and has never...

View more questions Search