Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trqjnky Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2011, 07:55 AM
    92 accord no spark, new distributor still nothing
    92 accord, no spark. Came into my shop with a bad ignition lock cylinder. Replaced that and it won't start. I replaced the distributor and still nothing.

Tried...

Distributor, didn't fix it.

K test on map sensor, if it's the black box on firewall with 2 connectors on the outside of it, and got no voltage. On right connector red wire.

The main relay doesn't click

Tried jumping the check engine light, but it doesn't seem to work, c.e.l. is on, but jumping 2 prong connector on pass floorboard doesn't make it blink.

There is no fuel pump noise either.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2011, 08:07 AM

The ECM is shot, if you performed the K-Test properly. MAP Sensors have a 3-wire connector going to them, with a hose to the throttle body. Turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II), when you run the test.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2011, 08:11 AM

Replacing the ECM should solve all of your problems:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235038

Jan 25, 2011, 08:34 AM
    Tested all fuses, have 12 volts to the dist.

I used a multimeter, key in position 2, tried using multiple grounds to ensure good reading, and got nothing.

The map sensor is on the pass side firewall, with a blue honda motor sticker on it, and has 2 connectors on it, with 3 vacuum lines running to the throttle body, correct?

My main question is, why can't I get the check engine light to blink? The blue connector on the pass kickpanel should make the cel blink when jumpered correct?
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2011, 08:37 AM

You can't get the CEL to blink, because the ECM has failed. Install a new ECM and EVERYTHING should work flawlessly. Easy job.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2011, 08:50 AM

If the CEL stays on, the problem is with the ACG (ALT) (S) 15 amp fuse, in the under dash fuse/relay box; ECM (perform the K-Test); main relay; or the ignition switch. Since we know that the fuses and the ignition switch are good, the problem is with either the ECM or main relay. Since the ECM completely fails the K-Test, it's the real problem. Main relays never cause the problems you are experiencing.

Jan 25, 2011, 08:51 AM
    Weird. What would cause the ecm to fail? The key would barely turn in the cylinder, so I replaced it, the car wouldn't start before then though. Would that have any relation to the ecm dying?
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2011, 08:55 AM

Unlikely the switch had anything to do with the ECM failing. ECM failure is fairly common on older Hondas. Frequently, the electrolytic capacitors start to leak and then burn through. Remove the cover to the ECM and you may see a bad capacitor or microprocessors crazed by heat.

Install a remanufactured ECM for around $275. Shop for price and warranty--then, your customer will be happy.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2011, 09:33 AM

The main relay doesn't click, because the ECM is toast. Grounding for the second relay inside the main relay is controlled by the ECM. The "weight of the evidence" overwhelmingly points to a failed ECM.

Jan 25, 2011, 01:04 PM
    Replaced the ecm, still doesn't have spark. Now what
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2011, 01:21 PM

Go back and test all under hood and under dash fuses with your multimeter. Especially, check the BACKUP Fuse, in the under hood fuse box, and the ACG (S) (ALT) fuse, in the under dash fuse box. The latter fuse is likely located in the upper right-hand corner of the fuse box, along with the SRS fuses. Additionally, clean the main ECM ground, located on the thermostat housing. It likely has 3-wires going into a brass connector.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2011, 01:29 PM

With the new ECM, and after cleaning the main ECM ground, does the CEL come on and then go off after 2 seconds, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II)?

Jan 25, 2011, 01:30 PM
    *** am I doing wrong to not be able to get the cel to flash?
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2011, 01:33 PM

Yes. Remove the shunt going to the Service Check Connector. Before checking for codes, you need to make sure the CEL comes on for 2 seconds and then goes off, when the ignition switch is turned to ON.

Jan 25, 2011, 01:36 PM
    The cel stays on permanently.

Jan 25, 2011, 01:38 PM
    Also, I still get no voltage to the map sensor
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2011, 01:45 PM

Clean the main ECM ground, check the BACKUP Fuse, check the ACG (ALT) (S) fuse, and make sure you are really dealing with the MAP Sensor.

Jan 25, 2011, 01:48 PM
    You have a pic of the map sensor? I can't find a good one online.

And where is the ACG alt s fuse?
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2011, 01:54 PM

Go to AutoZone.com and plug in the data for a 1992 Accord and you will see what it looks like.

Check the cover for where the ACG (ALT) (S) fuse may be; otherwise, be very thorough and check all under dash fuses.

Jan 25, 2011, 01:55 PM
    WHAT... THE... FFUUUUUCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK...

THE ACS ALT S FUSE... WAS GONE!!

How did this car run without it??

Why was it missing?

I've worked on this car before, replaced the dist. on it twice. And I am the only mechanic to touch it as far as I know... so w t f??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 Accord, new distributor, plugs, wires, fuel pump, no spark? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello.. I have a 1991 Honda accord that just got a head gasket re-done. Using a 12V light tester, I have power on the battery side (with a steady light), the other end of the coil wire I hear is supposed to pulse (on the ignition side) but I get no power or light. I've changed the distributor,...

95 honda civic has no spark. Replaced distributor [ 1 Answers ]

My 95 honda civic is getting very little spark to the spark plugs and won't start. I changed the distributor, the rotor, the ignition moduale, spark plugs, the only thing I didn't really get to change is the spark plug wires but they look good. What else could be wrong?

92 accord no spark,good ecu,distributor,coil, [ 1 Answers ]

92 accord has been sitting for a while, has good fuel pressure, ecu is good,distributor and coil are good.. car cranks but doesn't get spark... coil has 12v at yellow wire and both ground wires are good... rotor spins... main relay also replace with know good one... we have 2 accord same years so...

91 Honda Accord DX no spark from Distributor [ 1 Answers ]

I own a 91 Honda Accord DX. Just replaced the entire distributor, plugs and wires but not getting a spark at the plug. The CEL does not come on when truning the ingnition to Start or at crank. Could it be the ECM or other?

91 accord distributor on 92 ? [ 3 Answers ]

OK I have a 94 prelude I just put a 91 accord motor in but I used the prelude wiring harness (h23 dohc) so it's the samething as a 92 accord harness . The 91 has a internal coil and 92 has external and that's what I need but I was told that I could use the 91 but I would have to leave the coil...

View more questions Search