Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SamuelGalaviz Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2011, 07:12 PM
    How to get a commercial cleaning contract?
    Hi to everyone!

My name is Sam, my wife and I started a cleaning company about 5 months ago. We started delivering flyers, made a website and used a free classified website to promote ourselves. So far we have 30 houses and 2 offices that we clean on a regular basis (weekly, biweekly and monthly). As for employees, my wife hired a helper and I help from time to time with the cleaning. I was working for another company until our cleaning business was able to support us both and just started working full-time in our company 2 weeks ago. My job is to basically look for more work and we are open to clean pretty much anything (except restaurants because the expect too much, want to pay less and complain a lot). Anyway, I have sent introductory letters to home builders, have gone soliciting to professional office buildings, done some cold calling and I don't see any results. Probably I am a bad salesman and not doing it properly. I have been reading a lot on the internet and mostly on this website, I have notice that Stinger in the man in this kind of subject, just for the fact that he has a very successful cleaning company. Stringer, if you could help us out in the matter we would very much appreciate it or if anyone would like to help I am open to any kind of idea!

Thank you and talk to you soon

Jan 24, 2011, 09:16 PM
    Just want to rephrase my question as "What is the next step or the best step for our company to take?" Thanks!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jan 24, 2011, 10:27 PM

Sam, you will not believe what I just did, I spent over a half and hour answering your question and clicked the wrong key... all went bye bye... sigh.

I have to hit the sack as I have an important appointment tomorrow morning with a large potential new client... a hospital and it looks good. I believe tomorrow will be the closure. I WILL get back to you tomorrow afternoon or evening, I promise... sorry about that.

In the meantime here is some interesting reading for you although you may have to copy and paste:

File:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Lloyd/My%20Documents/Sales-10%20minutes%20to%20talk%20only%209-9-08.htm

File:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Lloyd/My%20Documents/Sales-10%20tips%20to%20gain%20customers-janitorial%209-9-08.htm

File:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Lloyd/My%20Documents/Sales%20-%20Free%20Articles%20in%20Sales%20Management%20-%20tips,%20advice,%20strategies%20&%20solutions.ht m

File:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Lloyd/My%20Documents/Sales%20-%20How%20to%20follow%20up%20on%20sales%20leads.htm

File:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Lloyd/My%20Documents/Sales%20-%20How%20to%20follow%20up%20on%20the%20phone%20---.htm

File:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Lloyd/My%20Documents/Sales%20-%20January%20Newsletter%20from%20The%20Brooks%20Gr oup%20Good%20advice%20on%20sale%20and%20mamagment. htm

File:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Lloyd/My%20Documents/SALES%20How%20to%20overcome%20objections%204-7-10%20Top%2020%25%20Secrets%20Insurance%20Sales%20-%20How%20to%20Overcome%20the%20Top%20Three%20Objec tions.htm

File:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Lloyd/My%20Documents/Sales%20info%20on%20Leave%20Behind%20Materials%201 2-15-05.htm

File:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Lloyd/My%20Documents/Sales%20Marketing%20ideas-planning%2012-15-05.htm You need a marketing plan.....

File:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Lloyd/My%20Documents/Sales%20open-ended%20questions%208-2-06.htm

I hope this keeps you busy for a bit... you should learn a thing or two.

There are no tricks to selling Sam just hard work, hard work, hard work, honesty, a desire to truly help your clients an do what you say your are going to do (period).

Please review what I posted Sam and let me know what your thoughts are and I'm sure that you may have additional questions. As there is so much more.

Good luck, let's go forward...

Stringer

Jan 25, 2011, 10:06 AM
    Hi Stringer,

I appreciate so much that you answered back, I tried to take a look at the links that you posted but they are links from a local file probably from your computer. I do want to learn everything I can so I can avoid making some mistakes by knowing certain tips. I will everything and anything to make this work, we are hard working people so that is not a concern. I'm the kind of person that has high expectations and for me it is taking me to long to get a commercial contract. We want that steady income even if the work is nightly.

We been working hard to have the residential clients happy, however, we believe that if we are going to do cleaning as a business we should do commercial cleaning. We believe that having to deal with less clients will help us provide a better customer service. I don't know if I am explaining myself but we just want to make our clients happy and grow as a company in the process!

Thanks Stringer and talk to you soon.
    Business Expert

Jan 25, 2011, 10:12 AM

Good morning Sam,

I only have a moment presently but may I suggest that you click on Stringer and visit my posts concerning cleaning. That may help some to bring you and I on the same page bud.

In what city are you located?

Commercial business In my opinion is better than residential in the long run.

Stringer

Jan 25, 2011, 10:25 AM
    Good morning Stringer,

I have seen a lot of your posts in the past, that is why I decided to talk to you myself. This is the first time that I actually use a form to communicate with someone hehe. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. We charge between $30-$35 per hour for house cleaning but it is too much driving and to actually make a real profit we would need to have a lot more houses. I believe commercial cleaning is better as well but it implied more initial investment. Now we are a little more comfortable and would like to invest on that part of the business and make it grow.

Sam

Jan 25, 2011, 10:26 AM
    Good morning Stringer,

I have seen a lot of your posts in the past, that is why I decided to talk to you myself. This is the first time that I actually use a form to communicate with someone hehe. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. We charge between $30-$35 per hour for house cleaning but it is too much driving and to actually make a real profit we would need to have a lot more houses. I believe commercial cleaning is better as well but it implied more initial investment. Now we are a little more comfortable and would like to invest on that part of the business and make it grow.

Sam

Jan 26, 2011, 08:20 PM
    Hi Stringer,

I hope you are doing well.

I was wondering if you could with me how you first started your commercial cleaning business regarding getting your name out there. I don't know if I am walking the right path or should I focus my attention and energy in a particular method of obtaining work? I know that once we start going people will like our work and work ethic. We are a very responsible, committed and hardworking couple that will go the extra mile. Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you Stringer.

Sam
    Business Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 07:08 PM

I am going better Sam, thank you.

Are you there to talk? I'll be on for the next 15 minutes or so.

Stringer

Jan 29, 2011, 02:41 PM
    Hi Stringer,

Sorry I haven't answered back, I have been helping this guy that will probably give us some subcontracts. But I would like to get some contracts of my own, this fellow says that the easy part is getting the contracts and the hard part would be keeping them. I find it harder to find and I know that they will be easy to keep because we worry about getting the work done properly and will go the extra mile to make it happen. He told me a few things on how to get contracts but it doesn't seem to work for me. I hope we can get a chance to talk soon.

Thank you Stringer for your help

Sam
    Business Expert

Jan 29, 2011, 04:46 PM
    Sam there is no real secret. Cold calling in the end is the best method. This gives you a view of the building and a personal touch with the prospect. Usually when you stop you will only get the name and phone number of the person responsible for contracting for your service. Then follow up with a phone call and simply tell them who you are and ask if you may be of service to them.

Also as I mentioned join local networking groups, chamber of commerce and talk to everyone and tell them what you do. Having a brochure stating briefly who and what you do can be left behind when making a cold call.

It takes time and actually some luck. The more cold calls you make the more you increase the odds. They probably won't come beating down your doors.

It takes a lot of cold calls to get an appointment but when you do make the most of it.

Also thoroughly read your local newspapers look for buy outs, new construction, remodels, etc. and call them.

We can talk more, let me know.

Stringer

Jan 29, 2011, 05:55 PM
    Hi stringer,

I wish a had to bid for a 20,000 sqft building, I think you got me confused for someone else. I need guidance on how to actually get to bid and get a contract. I have read a lot on how to get cold calls working, I just need to cold call the appropriate person to hear me out. Should I hire a sales person that is specialized on that subject or is this something of common sense that I could do with some practice? What are the thing I have to work on for me to be successful on getting commercial contracts if I am a newbie? That would really help a lot. Thanks Stringer! Talk to you soon.

Sam
    Business Expert

Jan 29, 2011, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelGalaviz View Post
    Hi stringer,

I wish a had to bid for a 20,000 sqft building, I think you got me confused for someone else. I need guidance on how to actually get to bid and get a contract. I have read a lot on how to get cold calls working, I just need to cold call the appropriate person to hear me out. Should I hire a sales person that is specialized on that subject or is this something of common sense that I could do with some practice? What are the thing I have to work on for me to be successful on getting commercial contracts if I am a newbie? That would really help a lot. Thanks Stringer! Talk to you soon.

Sam
    I am so sorry Sam :( . You are right and I just made the correction, my apologies my friend. I guess that I am just tired, my mistake.

Please see the above post and respond, thanks.

Yes you are right, I have been responding to several threads... I'll be more careful... dumb... jeeeese.
    Business Expert

Jan 29, 2011, 06:15 PM

Sam, just be professional, knowledgeable and be yourself. People judge you not only by what you are saying but how you look and how you are saying it. Just make it a conversation and ask a lot of questions. You will gain information and possibly make a friend in the process.

Simply go to the building and ask to speak to the person that contracts for their nightly janitorial services. For the most part you will need an appointment to see that person.

I suggest that in starting that you pick buildings that are 10,000 to 15,000 sq ft. Commercial cleaning is some what different than residential and these size buildings will offer a steady income and gained knowledge.

I suggest that you go to 'the janitorial store.com'. This website will require you to join at a small cost however it will give you tremendous help. Search for basic questions pertaining to sales.

Again my apologies.

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get your first contract for your commercial cleaning company? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new commercial cleaning company. I have worked for several cleaning companies and am now working for one. I need to get started and get my own company started. I need to know how to go about getting my first contract for myself?

Commercial cleaning contract [ 3 Answers ]

If I have a contract with a Commercial cleaner should I be expected to pay for hours not worked. i.e.. Christmas holidays - not public holidays which I would expect to pay but the contractor shut down over Christmas and I had to pay him for hours not worked. Also the contractor has billed me for...

How to acquire first commercial cleaning contract [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have been cleaning residential homes for over 17 years and would like to get into commercial cleaning. Real Estate/sales and property management along with new house contracts. I have joined the Chamber of Commerce, passed out a lot of business cards, brochures, specials etc. The question...

Commercial cleaning contract examples [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a new business doing a lot of my own leg work I'm trying to customize a contract specifically for my company where all I need to do is change the specs, I would like to be able to look at some sample contracts or blanks for comparison purposes can anyone help with that proposals as well ...

View more questions Search