Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abcdefg97 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2011, 08:41 AM
    Shoplifter surrendered. Bail? Warning?
    My friend had recently shoplifting cigarettes from 7-11. A call was made to the police by my friend and got advice to return the cigarettes to the shop rather than surrendered at the police station. The cigarettes were surrendered to the shop the next day. The shop owner agreed not to pursue the case since the goods were return.

The next day, my friend received a call from police officers that there's a week of investigation.

What will happened?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2011, 08:46 AM

Depends on what the shop owner decided... the crime WAS still committed... even though the stolen property was returned... he could still pursue charges. It was on candid camera... remember the security cameras?

So in effect what could possibly still happen is still the same as if he surrendered at the police station... but realisticlly it will be something less severe since the property was returned... assuming it was returned in the condition it was stolen... meaning it could be resold.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2011, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by abcdefg97 View Post
    the next day, my friend received a call from police officers that there's a week of investigation.

what will happened?
    Hello:

Charges will be levied. Tell your friend to hire a lawyer

excon

PS> By the way, my FRIEND is actually the exconvict... I'm a dean at Princeton.
    abcdefg97 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2011, 08:56 AM
    Thanks for all your advices. The shop owner doesn't want to pursue the case. The police said since the crime is admitted. What will the outcome be?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2011, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by abcdefg97 View Post
    thanks for all your advices. the shop owner doesn't want to pursue the case. the police said since the crime is admitted. what will the outcome be?
    Nobody has a crystal ball. Get a lawyer and improve your chances. And make sure they learn a lesson from this even if they do get off completely. Next time they might not be so lucky.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shoplifter wanting to be bonded [ 1 Answers ]

When I was 18 I was caught shoplifting at a local superstore. I stole about 50 dollars worth, I moved to a different province, now I want to get a job at a local boston pizza, but I need to be bondable. How do I know if I am? Is there any way I could become bondable if I'm not already? Is this...

We filed chapter 7 and surrendered our home. How does this affect our taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

We filed chapter 7 and surrendered our home. How does this affect our taxes?

Will I go to jail if I am a first time shoplifter [ 2 Answers ]

I am from South Africa. I was caught shoplifting in a very expensive store. I took 2 dresses but did not look at the price tags, which came up to R4000.00. I have never done it before, and don't even know why I did it in the first place. But I would like to know if I would be sent to jail...

Compulsive Shoplifter [ 6 Answers ]

Can you be arrested if you shoplift from the store and leave without being caught BUT you are on camera stealing? What happens?

Teenage shoplifter [ 1 Answers ]

My 17 year old was stopped for shoplifting last Sat. My child and friend were taken behind closed doors by a single manager. My child emptied handbag, pockets , etc and no merchandise was found. Manager claimed empty package had been returned to rack. Police were notified. A ticket was given...

View more questions Search