Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wesryan Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 08:55 PM
    High Flange For A Toilet
    Please help. We just made a big mistake when installing the toilet flange. It sit 3" up off the concrete. The flange is attached to a street 90. Any ideas. Are there any toilet with high outlet??
    Attached Images

PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 15, 2007, 03:26 AM
    You could try to build up the floor around the flange if you'd like.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 15, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Welcome back PalmMP3,

I would cut the flange off even with the floor and either cut the floor around the pipe for another regular flange or you can install a inside flange. This will be your last chance, if you mess up this time we go into major surgery. Good luck, Tom

Jan 15, 2007, 09:04 AM
    How about these options
    Option 1/
    What about adding a 45 and another 45 to drop it down a few inches. I would have to bust up the concrete though.

Option 2
    Cut the flange off and insert a new inside flange. I am worried the inside flange may hit the curve of the 90. I will have to go to Home Depot though to give it a try. Thoughts?
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 15, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wesryan
    How about these options
    Option 1/
    What about adding a 45 and another 45 to drop it down a few inches. I would have to bust up the concrete though.

Option 2
    Cut the flange off and insert a new inside flange. I am worried the inside flange may hit the curve of the 90. I will have to go to Home Depot though to give it a try. Thoughts?
    How about door#1, I would cut the flange off even with the floor and cut the floor around the pipe for another regular flange.
    Regards, Tom

Jan 15, 2007, 09:37 AM
    High Flange Question 2
    I have two options to resolve a high toilet flange of about 3". The flange sits on concrete and is attached directly to a street 90. PVC is the material and the pipe is 3" dia.

Option 1:

Build a base and set the toilet on this. I like this idea but am scared it will look goofy. Any thought?

Option 2.

Cut the concrete out and add two 45 to lower it the correct amount. Won't this be like adding a P trap though and I thought that this was not allowed. Will this cause a water flow issue?

Option 3:

Cut it off and put an inside dia flange. How deep are these as the flange is attached to a street 90. I am worried that the lfange will hit the curve of the 90. Opinion?

Thanks to all
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 15, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Option 2.

Cut the concrete out and add two 45 to lower it the correct amount. Won't this be like adding a P trap though and I thought that this was not allowed. Will this cause a water flow issue?
    What am I missing here? You don't add anything to lower a pipe. Please explain in detail.
    Option 3:

Cut it off and put an inside dia flange. How deep are these as the flange is attached to a street 90. I am worried that the lfange will hit the curve of the 90. Opinion?
    If the inside flange hits the curve then trim back the inside flange stock.

I still think that you have room to install a regular flange if you cut the floor to accommodate it. Or am I missing something else? Regards, Tom
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2007, 10:43 AM
    Since you can not lower the flange because of the street elbow I think your best chance is to use the inside flange like you mentioned once. The inside flange is not very deep, about an 1 1/2 but if this is so deep that part of the flange goes into the ell then you could insert the flange into the ell and mark where and how much need to be cut off to clear the opening to the ell, then take it out , cut it off and then glue it back into the right position like you cut it to fit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My toilet flange is too high and not level [ 15 Answers ]

Yes yes.. I'm a rookie. OK... Just wondering what I can do with my toilet flange. After I installed it I realize that the flange is about 1/4" higher than the floor and it is tilted to one side. Do you think an extra thick wax ring will allow me to level out my toilet AND compress it...

Toilet flange height too high? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the allowable height of a PVC toilet flange above a tile floor. The Oatey screw and set PVC flange insert into my 3" cast iron waste line sits on top of my new tile floor. The thickness of the flange top is 1/2" . So the flange height is 1/2" above the floor level. ...

High toilet flange [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a new tile floor. The toilet flange is to high and the toilet sits about a 1/2 inch off the floor. What can I do to install the toilet?

Toilet Flange too high [ 4 Answers ]

Please Help! I am installing a new KOHLER toilet and I have purchased a new PVC toilet Flange which sits inside of my waste pipe, I primed and sealed it to the existing waste pipe and it sits too high off the floor, the toilet will not go to the floor with this type of flange, and if I saw it off...

High Flange [ 5 Answers ]

I recently noticed water damage on the ceiling directly beneath one of my 2nd floor toilets and decided to inspect it. After removing the toilet I found the wax seal was compromised due to a lack of clearance between the toilet and the flange. I've tried installing one of the o-ring and gasket...

View more questions Search