Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kranoop Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 11:34 AM
    How to calculate capacitor bank rating
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jan 23, 2011, 04:52 PM
    If you're looking to find the voltage rating, it depends on the configuration. I'll give you an example:

Let's say you have a 1000 uF capacitor with a voltage rating of 16v. If you put two of these capacitors in series, you'd cut your effective capacitance in half, to 500 uF, but since only half of the overall voltage is dropped across each capacitor, the effective voltage rating of the pair would be doubled to 32v.

Now, let's say that instead of putting them in series, you put them in parallel instead. In this case, the voltage rating would remain unchanged because the same voltage would be dropped across both caps. However, the effective capacitance would be doubled to 2000 uF.

Now let's say you form a small bank of capacitors by putting two 1000 uF caps in series, along with a second identical series pair in parallel with the first two (for a grand total of four capacitors, two in series and two in parallel). This would result in an effective capacitance of 1000 uF for the bank, with a voltage rating of 32v.

So for an arbitrary bank of series combinations and parallel combinations, you'd end up with the following properties:

where and are the capacitance and breakdown voltage rating of a single capacitor out of the bank.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jan 23, 2011, 04:54 PM
    Comment on jcaron2's post
    Woops, that last line should say BV_0, not VB_0.
    sinnadurai Posts: 127, Reputation: 2

Jan 24, 2011, 01:06 AM
    Calculating may be approximate. The best method is by measurements. Connect a datalogger or power analyser to the main CB and record parameters like V,I,pf,Hz,Var,W,VA etc over a period of 24hrs. From this data you know the maximum and minimum pf,I and Var.Then you should study the pattern of loading(motor hp vs time)and sizes of load steps. If all loads are small you can use smaller capacitor units and if large motors are used
    Larger capacitor units too should be used. You should decide how many and sizes capacitor units are required. The best advise is give the data to a capacitor bank manufacturer and ask for a quotation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sizing a capacitor bank [ 6 Answers ]

is it advisable to size the capacitor bank as 30% of the transformer KVA rating? I assume KVAR=30% Transformer KVA

What is effect of capacitor bank on genset [ 4 Answers ]

Can you swicth on capacitor banks when genset is running?

What are the uses of capacitor bank [ 3 Answers ]

How is the voltage profile increased by using capacitor bank..

Effect of genset on capacitor bank [ 2 Answers ]

Ihave a capacitor bank connected to my main switch gear. My distribution panel is coupled with a stand by genset through ats. Is there any effect on the genset during the change over of supply from my stand by genset..

CAn you teach me how to calculate the total rating in KW of a 20ton PACU [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm an electrical engr. And I want to know how to calculate the rating in KW of a 20Ton Package ACU to decide the size of cable to use.thank you!

View more questions Search