Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andymehra Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2011, 10:43 AM
    Symmons temptrol diverter - shower will not come on
    My diverter is not working (water will not come out of shower - it only comes out of tub spout when I turn T-31). I have read helpful suggestions from MARK on how to replace the diverter spindle(T-21C and TA-25B/TA-25A). My question is:

Before I try to replace diverter spindle, I want to know if this could fix the problem or I should look into something else.

I have tried replacing the diverter (T-30) but that has not solve the problem. T-30 is not engaging with the spindle.

Thanks,
    Andy
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 11:12 AM

Hi Andy...

Before you go removing the entire spindle assembly be sure to remove the SHOWER HEAD and check to make sure it isn't clogged... could be... ;)

If the shower head isn't clogged, then remove the trim plate and look into the diverter spindle... you will see the hole the T-30 slips into and you'll want to take a small flat head screwdriver and see if you can spin the spindle to the left and right while the tub is on and see if you can engage the spindle to send water up to the shower head. If that works, then the spindle needs to be replaced and you should be all set.

For ease of removal I will repost the steps to replace the spindle:

Remove all of the chrome trim parts and then you will need a 5/16" allen wrench to remove the DIVERTER RETAINER and a 5/16" x 3" LAG BOLT to remove the DIVERTER SPINDLE itself. Although the bolt sounds wrong it is exactly what Symmons recommends.

You will need to screw the 5/16" lag bolt into the spindle and then give a strong YANK to remove the old spindle (hold valve body here). To install the new spindle you will need to grease (silicone grease) the new spindle at the O-RING to insert it into the valve body... push hard to seat it. Then re-install the retainer (be careful not to drop it... ) and test all.

Questions? Let me know...

Mark
    Attached Images

Jan 22, 2011, 11:23 AM
    Thanks Mark - you are a magician. Tried the screw driver insider T-30 hole and was able to send the water up the shower head. My family can now take shower. I will be heading to the local homedepot in few minutes to get the new spindle. Will report back on the progress after replacing.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 12:56 PM

Good news!

Please post back on the results.

Mark

Jan 23, 2011, 02:05 PM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    Thanks Mark! The instructions were quite idiot proof. Was able to replace in less than 30 minutes. Appreciate all the help...

Best,
    Andy Mehra
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 23, 2011, 02:27 PM

Thank you for taking the time to post back on the results!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Symmons Temptrol shower gets cold after 3-4 minutes [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Great site... I have a Symmons Temptrol shower faucet in 2 bathrooms. One of them works great, we have a hot water tankless furnace and you can take a shower forever in that one without the water cooling off. All of the faucets/appliances and the other shower keep hot water for as long as...

Symmons temptrol diverter repair? [ 5 Answers ]

Is is possible to adjust the new diverter once it has been installed? The shower will only come on when the diverter is moved to the middle.

Symmons - Temptrol Diverter [ 22 Answers ]

I have the above diverter in my bathroom. Recently it started to leak from the diverter handle that changes the use from tub to shower. I purchased the Symmons TA-25A Iverter Spindle to replace old. My problem is that I do not know how to remove the old spindle. Can anyone help me with my problem?

SYMMONS Temptrol leaking from diverter [ 1 Answers ]

Symmons sent the replacement seats and tools to repair a leak from the diverter hole that happens only when water is turned on. I replaced the seats, tightening by hand stopping short of cranking them. (I didn't use a torque wrench). Three times I removed them and adjusted them, but the...

Symmons temptrol valve on shower/tub [ 5 Answers ]

I can only get hot water from this brand new valve. Yhe only way to get cooler water is to reduce the valve to a point where I get very low flow. Increasing the flow to a satisfactory flow only gives hot water. The water coming in is at 130 degrees F. I can not change the temp of the water coming...

View more questions Search