Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Outlook & Skype Conflicts
    Has anyone noticed or is aware of a conflict between Outlook 2003 and Skype? I recently began having various problems with Outlook locking up, sometimes on launch, and sometimes on Send.

Of course, recently MS sent out a bunch of updates for Win XP, and I thought maybe one of those started the problem, but trying to figure out which one would be looking for the needle in a haystack, and I just don't have the patience.

I found that Outlook uses, if checked off in Advanced Options, MS Office for an editor, and had some luck with unchecking this option, but did not seem to be the final solution.

Then I realized I recently added Skype, and shut that off, and that seems to be the cause, When I do shut off Skype, while Outlook is sitting there looking at me locked up, Outlook will then unlock, and give an error message, something to the effect "A Remote Operation Has Failed". Just got to love the so helpful MS error messages.

Anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on this?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 14, 2007, 12:56 PM
    TK, how is your Skype setup to run.
    Have you set it to run and login on windows start as this maybe the source of your issues.
    I use Outlook 2003 and Skype and have no issues.
    Also make sure you are riunning the latest version of Skype 3.0.0.x as this may also be an issue.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Yes, Skype was setup to run as TSR by default, I found that setting and have shut it off.

I have Ver 3.0.0.198, which they say is latest version.

So if Skype is not running in the background, will it launch if on it's own if someone calls? Lol, I am not exactly hanging waiting for someone to call but you never know, I suppose.

Or do I need to launch Skype when I am at the PC, and shut off if I want to launch Outlook?

I will keep Skype off TSR, and monitor. Outlook seems fine while Skype is not running.

I had also updated Outlook, all of MS Office for that matter, not sure if that caused the problem, so many things got updated in a short period, it is a bit overwhelming to figure out what may be the cause, if any.

Thanks
    BossMan

Jan 14, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Change Skype to only run when you activate it, you won't have to turn off Outlook while its running. Running Skype in the background is fine.
    When was the last time you did some maintenance on your system as this maye the root cause of your issue ?
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2007, 01:43 PM
    OK great, like I said I will monitor the operation of both, now that I think I see what is causing Outlook to lockup.

I keep a pretty tight and clean PC, what with scan and defrag periodically, along with Ad removal,virus detection, good working Sys restore points, Reg clean, etc. but that is next to try if I have any more problems.

I was getting ready to format c:/ and reload everything again, as I do get things a bit jumbled with all my adds/deletes and whatnot.

Thanks again, I will keep you posted.
    BossMan

Jan 14, 2007, 01:45 PM
    TK for quick and easy cleaning give CCleaner a go ;)
    wavenet2007 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 06:01 AM
    Hi,

I did all my windows, office updates and I have the same problem. When Skype is running, Outlook 2003 gives me messages like OPERATION FAILED. I have to shut down skype.

I have the same prolem on my desktop and on my laptop. I'm concern about that because when I use skype, I need also my Outlook
    BossMan

Jan 29, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Wave, did you try my suggestion earlier post # 4?

Jan 29, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Yes, same error. I will reboot my computer and try again.

Jan 29, 2007, 09:50 AM
    It works now. Thank you for you quick respond this morning.
    Adam123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 28, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Hello,

I have been searching all over the internet, and stumbled across your question about the conflict between Microsoft Outlook and Skype. I have the same problem, did you ever get it resolved?
    I just purchased a brand new HP laptop, upgraded from my old Acer. I use Outlook for work as well as Skype, they are both essential tools. I had no problems with my Acer running skype and Outlook at the same time. I have had this new laptop for 2 days, and was in the process of installing and copying over all my files. It came with a trial version of Office 2003, but I already had purchased Office XP and used it on my old laptop, so I uninstalled the trial version and installed my Office XP version. I didn't know what was causing my Outlook to be so slow, I was seriously contemplating on returning this new laptop and going back to my old one. After uninstalling and installing Office XP several times, and changing all kinds of settings in my Outlook, I decided to start shutting off programs and seeing if I saw a difference. I finally shut off my Skype, and Outlook started running perfectly.
    Did you ever resolve your problem? I have since uninstalled and re-installed skype, and have the same problem. At this point I am better off returning to my old laptop, where Outlook and Skype never seemed to have a problem.
    By the way my laptop is running Microsoft XP Media Center version (I wasn''t ready for the Vista crossover just yet).
    I would really appreciate to find out how you resolved your problem, I really need both Outlook and Skype running at the same time.
    Thanks!
    Adam123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Oct 2, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Hello again,

I found the solution to my problem. I did this and my Outlook and skype are flying and I noticed much better quality on my skype calls:

Disable/Delete/Alter Outlook Contact in Skype

Open Skype so contacts are visible and click view and you will see the option View Outlook Contacts is possible greyed out.
    Start Outlook as if you were going to write an email.
    Switch back to the Skype Contacts window and now this time when you click view you will see the View Outlook Contacts is not greyed out, click on it and all your Outlook contacts will be gone.
    Close Outlook now no more contact in Skype whenever you start Skype.
    If you want to show these contacts just reverse the operation you just did.
    Remember you will not be able to switch Outlook contacts OFF in Skype unless you have Outlook running the “View Outlook Contacts” will ALWAYS be greyed out.

NOTE: You will not be able to do any alteration to any of your Outlook contacts from within Skype this MUST be done within Outlook, therefore you will have to close Outlook do you alterations then reopen Outlook again if you want the new alterations or contact to show.
    fedders Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 03:11 PM
    Having same problem. Brand new laptop with Outlook 2003 connecting to an Exchange server. Seems to hang when I am composing an e-mail and outlook connects to the exchange server. Again, I can turn off Skype and the problem goes away.

The hang also seems to be temporary if you turn off Skype, full functionality of Outlooks seems to come back.

This is my first day with this problem - but noticed some XP updates were downloaded in the last day or so...

Carl

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Address Conflicts [ 27 Answers ]

Running SBS 2003 Server with 10 client machines in a domain and two laptops are in a workgroup. Laptop users having 2 NICs wired and wireless enabled and getting their IP address from Server DHCP. Problem: When the laptop user disable the Wireless NIC after sometimes again they enable...

Floor joist conflicts with lag bolt head [ 2 Answers ]

I'm building a "mud room" inside our garage. The width is 5' (13' length) and the joists are 2x6 24" o.c. I have ledger on both sides. My issue is that in 2 places I have lag bolts at the edge of the joist, so it gets in the way of the joist and the hanger. Some options seem to be (1)move the...

View more questions Search