Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2011, 08:35 AM
    A honey pot necessitates that the army guy connected to a computer Assange set up, what file would the army guy be looking for in order for Assange to snag him? Did he host a million songs on the off chance that it's one the army guy was looking for? Also if he gets the external IP of a army network, how again does he get files from a specific computer afterwards?

You and I both know that none of the above happened or else it would have been mentioned in the article. What really happened is happened millions of times a day on those Limewire/KaZaa clients: some kid searches for .pst or .doc or Quicken file extensions to see what losers are sharing their entire C:. Geez even I did it for fun, it's too easy. It's just a matter of throwing search terms in the app's search window.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2011, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    So you're saying that Assange found the army guy's computer on an anonymous network and sent him a virus? Yea you are stupid about P2P, you can't find a specific computer in the anonymous P2P cloud. If you can show me the specifics on how that can happen I'd be interested to know. You do realize that when you download a file on a P2P network you're getting it from multiple sources, right?
    Here is where you're stupid, you're making assumptions. I never said you could "find a specific computer in the anonymous P2P cloud." You proved however that one can search for open directories and come up with things that don't belong to you..
    WikiLeaks May Have Exploited Music, Photo Networks to Get Data
    By Michael Riley - Jan 19, 2011 11:00 PM CT

Jan. 20 (Bloomberg) -- WikiLeaks, condemned by the U.S. government for posting secret data leaked by insiders, may have used music and photo-sharing networks to obtain and publish classified documents, according to computer security firm Tiversa Inc. Bloomberg's Megan Hughes reports. (Source: Bloomberg)

WikiLeaks, condemned by the U.S. government for posting secret data leaked by insiders, may have used music- and photo-sharing networks to obtain and publish classified documents, according to a computer security firm.

Tiversa Inc., a company based in Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania, has evidence that WikiLeaks, which has said it doesn’t know who provides it with information, may seek out secret data itself, using so-called “peer-to-peer” networks, Chief Executive Officer Robert Boback claimed. He said the government is examining evidence that Tiversa has turned over.

The company, which has done investigative searches on behalf of U.S. agencies including the FBI, said it discovered that computers in Sweden were trolling through hard drives accessed from popular peer-to-peer networks such as LimeWire and Kazaa. The same information obtained in those searches later appeared on WikiLeaks, Boback said. WikiLeaks bases its most important servers in Sweden.

“WikiLeaks is doing searches themselves on file-sharing networks,” Boback said in an interview, summing up his firm’s deductions from the search evidence it gathered. “It would be highly unlikely that someone else from Sweden is issuing those same types of searches resulting in that same type of information.”

‘Completely False’

Tiversa’s claim is “completely false in every regard,” said Mark Stephens, WikiLeaks’ London attorney, in an e-mail. Stephens regularly represents media organizations, including Bloomberg News.

Tiversa declined to say who its client was when it noticed the Swedish downloads. Howard Schmidt, a former Tiversa adviser, is cybersecurity coordinator and special assistant to U.S. President Barack Obama.

Tiversa researchers said the data-mining operation in Sweden is both systematic and highly successful.

In a 60-minute period on Feb. 7, 2009, using so-called Internet protocol addresses that every computer, server or similar equipment has, Tiversa’s monitors detected four Swedish computers engaged in searching and downloading information on peer-to-peer networks. The four computers issued 413 searches, crafted to find Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and other information-rich documents among some of the 18 million users the company estimates are on such file-sharing networks at any given moment.

Those searches led to a computer in Hawaii that held a survey of the Pentagon’s Pacific Missile Range Facility in that state. Tiversa captured the download of the PDF file by one of the Swedish computers. The document was renamed and posted on the WikiLeaks website two months later, on April 29, 2009, according to a mirror image of the site.
    Apologies accepted.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2011, 09:25 AM
    The Google example isn't an example of a P2P network.

The article you linked simply says that they were doing searches for Excel spreadsheets, just like you or I or any 12 year old can do.
    That last paragraph is dodgy and needs more technical detail on how they did that.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2011, 07:49 AM
    And your point is what?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2011, 07:51 AM

Hello Steve:

Let me answer. The point is, Wikkileaks is great, and Obama sucks.

excon
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Jan 29, 2011, 04:58 PM
    Hello Steve:

Let me answer. The point is, Wikkileaks is great, and Obama sucks.

excon

Obama sucks? Seems I remember some of us trying to tell you that in early '08.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2011, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    Obama sucks? Seems I remember some of us trying to tell you that in early '08.
    Hey, Gal:

Where you been? I missed you. Yeah, I don't like any president.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wikileaks and Afghanistan [ 10 Answers ]

Perhaps nothing has made the situation in Afghanistan more telling than Wikileaks and this particular piece even more telling Rudd: 'Scared as hell' What is described here however briefly is the stuff of legend, allies who have very bad views of each others efforts and a view that irrespective...

Wikileaks [ 38 Answers ]

Wikileaks, good or bad? If you ask me the guy is just after attention for himself, a self-serving publicity hog who in his own words, says "I enjoy crushing bastards." Who else does he like to crush, the 100's of informants working with us whose identity he leaked and put in grave danger?

Which civilization had the greatest impact on the united states government? [ 2 Answers ]

Ancient greece or rome or western europehas the greatest impact on united state government?

How does public policy impact what government ? [ 1 Answers ]

How public policy impacts what government does and how it does it. How the implementation of public policies can lead to the formation of "distributive and regulatory policies" that can adversely impact citizen's lives. How distributive policies help produce environments which fosters and expansion...

Usa government officials allowed to carry arms when in Canada [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone has heard about this. As broadcasted on BCTV news this week, there is talk about the possibility of American officials being allowed to carry guns (pistols) when in Canada. They will not need any special clearance. After the initial news report, there has been no...

View more questions Search