Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sanjeevindia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Filing Taxes for myself (H1) and my wife (h4)
    Hi Tax Experts,

I am married and entered into USA on April 2006. My wife joined me in June 2006. I want to file my Tax for the time I was in USA?
    1. Do I need to file ITIN for my wife first? Or I can do it when I am filing for my Tax?
    2. Do I have to file as dual-status return for both of us? I don't want to get into all that "Foreign Tax Credit" stuff.

I read old replies from "AtlantaTaxExpert" and as per those.. I am a dual-status alien (as I came in April) and my wife who joined me on 30th June 06 has at least 183 days of US residency so she qualify for "substantial presence test" I believe.

Please suggest, I need to file it in Jan only as I want to get my parents here and I want the paper work to be done ASAP.

Thanks and regards,
    Sanjeev
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 14, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Sanjeev:

1) You will fill out Form W-7, have your wife sign it, and submit it with your 2006 tax return, mailing it (along with a notarized photocopy of your wife's passport) to the address in the W-7 instructions.

2) If you file dual-status, you claim your wife as a dependent, rather than filing jointly. You lose the double standard deduction of $10,300, but will be able to claim personal exemptions of $6,600 ($3,300 times two). It is true you meet the Substantial Presence Test, but that, by itself, does not qualify you for resident alient status.

However, because you are married, you are eligible to file as resident aliens with your wife. The drawback is you must claim your 2006 worldwide income, which means your income in home country (assume it is India) is also subject to U.S. taxes. You can get a credit for taxes paid to India on that 2006 salary (Foreign Tax Credit). That credit, plus the $10,300 standard deduction, may make filing as a resident alien the BEST way to file.

If you need professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].
    sanjeevindia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Hi "AtlantaTaxExpert",

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I have few more questions.

What documents would I need to claim my 2006 income in India?
    Typically we get a Form-16 which is more like a w-2 and I do have the copy of the Indian Tax return filed. But my doubt here is: In India financial cycle is from April to March and I have filed taxes in India till March 2006 only, but I do have Form-16 for the month of April too.
    Do I have to give proof of tax return of that too? Or only Form-16 is sufficient?
    I can't submit original Form-16, so do I have to attach photo copies? Should it be notarized?

Please suggest.

Thanks and regards,
    Sanjeev
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 14, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Sanjeev:

You can attach a photocopy of your latest Indian tax return and a photocopy of the Form 16, but it is not required. You just need it to proof income and taxes paid if the IRS challenges your figures.

As noted, photocopies are adequate, and they do NOT have to be notarized.

You would prorate your income from 1 Jan to the date you entered the U.S. a simple arithmetic calculation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes for married filing OPT(self), F1(wife) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a resident of India, I have been in the US from Aug 2004. My wife has been in the US since Aug 2005. I just finished my Masters and am working full time in OPT status. My wife is still in F1 status. Should my employer cut Social Security and Medicare taxes? We wanted to file in...

On H1 Married and wife in india + filing tax returns... [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was in US - California from Oct 30 2005 to Dec 25 2005. For this period, I have W2 from my empoloyer. Now again back in US - Iowa in Feb 10, 2006 and will be here for another 6months. I am married, no children and my wife is in India and will be joining me only in May or June 2006. I got...

How do I file for taxes, my wife is on H4. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, here is the scenario: -I am on H1, and I have to file for my tax returns. -I got married last year, and my wife is in US since dec of last year. -I want to file her as an dependent while applying for tax returns, so that I can -get more returns then the normal returns. My question is,...

Filing Taxes for myself (H1) and my wife (h4) [ 1 Answers ]

In one of your previous replies you had said that for filing taxes with person with H1 and wife with H4. "Yes, she will need an ITIN. Download a W-7 from www.irs.gov, fill it out, have you wife sign it and attach a notarized copy of her passport to the W-7. Attach both to your joint tax return...

Filing for 2004 taxes and 2005 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just received my W2 from my employer and there were 2 W2's. One W2 was for the wages of Dec 2004 (since the employer pays 1 month delayed salary) and the other one was for Jan - Nov 2005. I want to know if I can refile my 2004 taxes since I just got my Dec 2004's W2. If I add that...

View more questions Search