Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    littlesputnik Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2011, 12:01 PM
    Mailbox rights
    I offered to purchase a new expensive/attractive mailbox to replace the one provided by my homeowner's assn. (the box sits on the street in front of the home - it is not a condo). The developer refused my offer and said I have to put up with the decorative one he provides. The problem is that the box provides no place to put outgoing mail, no flag to signal it, and it isn't waterproof so mail is soaked when it rains. In edition, all the development's boxes are rusting because the are cast iron and they are getting less and less "decorative" as they rust. What are my rights re a FUNCTIONAL mailbox that protects my mail (ingoing or outgoing)?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2011, 12:31 PM

You have no rights essentually, (you signed them away when you moved into a house in a development with one of those)... the Homeowners association has the rights to dictate... yes dictate many things... including what color you paint your house... any visible renovations, and in many cases what flowers you can plant.

As well as dictate what type and style mailbox you can have.

You did read those homeowners association papers (the covenants and restrictions) you had to sign when you bought the house... didn't you.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Homeowners Associations and their Petty power trips.

I will self edit what I really think of them... because this is not the place for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Access Exchange Mailbox from offsite [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have an exchange email account and is configured on my laptop. At work I connect wirelessly and download my emails straight to ms outlook 2003 on my laptop. Now I'm out of the office (offsite) and can connect to the internet but cannot connect to the exchange server to access my mail box....

Mailbox Access [ 5 Answers ]

I have been in my apartment for 1 month and I have yet to get access to my mailbox. When I moved in I got a key and was told that I would have access the next day. Now I have bill & checks that are sitting in there and I can't get in and the contracting office is ignoring my inquiries. Is there...

From my mailbox [ 4 Answers ]

A man was in his front yard mowing grass, when his blonde female neighbor, came out of her house and went straight to the mailbox. She opened it, then slammed it shut and stormed back into the house. A little later she came out of her house again, went to the mail box, and again opened it and...

Putting a letter in a mailbox [ 4 Answers ]

Is it illeagal to put a letter in someone's mailbox?

1 mailbox 2 computers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I tried to get 2 computers (networked) accessing the same mailbox (.pst file). On one of them outlook will not refuse to open the file if it is already opened by the other. This full access on the file and file's folder. They've both got Outlook 97, Windows ME. Is there a workaround? Any...

View more questions Search