Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nyoung60 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2011, 07:16 AM
    Can I give my 13 week old puppy a cooked beef marrow bone, while his teeth are wobbly
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2011, 10:30 AM

I personally would not give a dog that young bones. If a tooth breaks off when they are still puppy teeth and part of it stays in the jaw it can rot, thus destroying the adult tooth which grows in after it. The adult tooth will be black, and unhealthy and will need to be removed. I'd wait until after your pup has lost all his puppy teeth before you give him any bones
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2011, 10:47 AM

I'm not a fan of any cooked bones, even marrow bone.

Some people give young pups bones, but I prefer to wait until they are older. Puppies can be greedy, and until they learn some table manners I avoid bones as they can easy swallow them in a rush to finish.

Toys like rubber kongs or even just dry kibble is good for teething pups.

Catsmine make chicken bullion ice cubes for his pups, it helps soothe the gums.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jan 20, 2011, 10:49 AM

I seem to remember too that our vet checked Owen for broken teeth for one of his checkups. It apparently gets expensive to fix. Not sure why but she has been seeing more of that lately and thus watches for it.

Susan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should my puppy eat only dry food or can I give him canned and cooked as well? [ 27 Answers ]

Should my puppy eat only dry food or can I give him canned and cooked as well?what would you recommend for cooked food for 9 week puppy?

11 week old puppy swallowed a skinny but long 40% rawhide bone, should I worry? [ 4 Answers ]

My puppy, who is 11 weeks old, was given a treat yesterday. The treat is a rawhide bone that has chicken surrounding it. The package says that the treat itself is only 40% rawhide. What happened last night is that he got the treat but I tried to take it away because I was scared he might choke...

Petrified bone marrow? [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone ever heard of bone marrow that is practically petrified? During a total knee replacement my surgeon had to drill out the bone marrow. Yet neither the pathologist who examined the bone fragments, nor the hematologist who I saw can find any evidence of a bone, bone marrow, or a blood...

Bone marrow donations [ 2 Answers ]

I am a regular blood donator, and at my last donation I was given a leaflet about donating bone marrow. After looking through the leaflet, I felt I may be interested in registering with the blood marrow registary. I am only 18, and I don't know too much about the procedure or anything, but I was...

Abnormal Bone Marrow [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a 52 year old woman and I have been having lower back problems. I had an MRI and they found I had bone marrow. I then had a body scan and it showed nothing. Should I be concerned or is this normal to have back problems with abnormal bone marrow?

View more questions Search