Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kimmikin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2011, 06:17 AM
    Should I give my husband the livret de famille - he has left me
    My husband is French - he left me on 01.09.10 after 20 years of marriage - he is not contributing one penny to myself or our 20 year old daughter. He has now asked me for the livret de famille - why would he want it and should I give it to him? Is it rightfully mine or does it belong to both of us? I don't even know where he lives now
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 20, 2011, 07:21 AM
    What does 'livret de famille' mean?
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jan 20, 2011, 02:49 PM

Jake I do not speak french however I believe that it is some sort of ceramic.
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Jan 20, 2011, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post
    What does 'livret de famille' mean?
    It is a document French couples receive when they marry. Couples list any important information on it (such as the birth of children) during the marriage. It is used to obtain any legal documents needed (passports, birth certificates, divorce,. ).

Kimmikin, I am so sorry for your troubles. Just because your husband wants it, doesn't mean you must give it to him. If you don't want to, then don't. However, I think it would be wise for you to consult an attorney familiar with French law. If you aren't living in France (or a country that France has domain over) and never plan to live there, but he is currently living there, then you might want to consider giving it to him. If I were in your shoes, I would have him explain to my attorney why he needs it and allow the attorney to advise me as to what impact handing the paperwork over would have on my life. Your daughter might need it if she wants a French passport or decides at some point in the future to get married in France.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jan 20, 2011, 03:32 PM

Sorry for the misinformation, I attempted to look it up and that is what I found.
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Jan 20, 2011, 04:24 PM
    Comment on Stringer's post
    Curses on that dastardly Google!! In my opinion no harm done. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sister left husband in CA and left state with baby [ 1 Answers ]

Ok this is a big mess and long story so for those of you that read it all thanks. My younger sister just moved back in with me with her 9 month old daughter. It started that she met this guy and got pregnant. They were going to get married and then things started getting really bad so she left...

French Le livret de famille [ 3 Answers ]

Hello All! Does anyone know how to obtain french le livret de famille? I've also heard that it might be possible to obtain a French passport after being married for more than 3 years? Is that true even though we do not live in France? Thanks a million!

Lost Livret de Famille [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all. I have been doing research on dual citizenship -- born in America, my mother is American and my father is a natural French citizen (now divorced, remarried to a Canadian, and living in Ottawa). He does not have a Livret de Famille but he does have his French birth certificate and...

View more questions Search