Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 12:40 PM
    HP Procurve 420. Internet Access, no network access?
    I am trying to do something I have never done before or heard of anyone doing before. We have 3 HP Procurve AP's. They're currently used to access internet and network resources via MAC Filtering for users with laptops and meetings. However, we are looking to modify to allow guest connections with access to only the internet, no network access.

Is this possible? I have read the manula twice and it doesn't say anything about it.

The AP's are HP Procurve 420 J8130A's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 19, 2011, 01:55 PM
    Our German Group office does this.
    Basically they setup a 192.168.x.x network that can see the internet, but not the rest of the corporate WAN.

How, I'm not sure TBH, but I have a feeling it's using MAC filtering as they can allow guests onto the corp WAN quite simply.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 10:01 PM

What happens is most WAP's allow multi-SSID's. They create two SSID's. One SSID to VLAN A which allows network and internet access and SSID2(aka guest) to VLAN2 allowing just internet access.

Got to love this. Although, a majority of Cisco Equipment include a guest setting that would work perfect... one problem... ours are HP :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Specify a network connection for internet access [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 network adapters installed on my computer, and each is plugged into a separate network. I need to use internet access from one network and use file sharing from the another, the both networks have internet access but I don't want to access internet through the adapter which I'm tending to...

Connected to wireless network. Can't access internet [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Dell laptop with Windows XP which is connected to a wireless network. Windows is currently managing my wireless connection, and tells me that I am connected to my network and the signal strength is excellent. I have always been able to use the internet perfectly on this laptop...

How can I access two different network. [ 1 Answers ]

I have created two VLAN in my switch network. One of computer whis OS is XP-prof. having two landcard. I have asigned two different IP addresss for different VLAN. Now I want to access both the network at the same time. Is it possible?

Network Access [ 2 Answers ]

When I connect to another computer by using IP address as(e.g) \\10.10.10.10 I get error message that Workgroup is not accessible, you might not have permission. Haw can I solve this problem ?

View more questions Search