Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cherokeemoore Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2011, 04:40 AM
    Putting biological father on birth certificate, and changing name back to biological
    My mom and my stepfather are deceased and I'm an adult and want my biological father and my name changed back to his name since it was done without his consent, he is still alive and agrees. Can the courts do this?

ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2011, 04:43 AM

They can certainly change your name. Whether they will amend a birth certificate at this late date depends on the circumstances. Doesn't hurt to file a petition to do so.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 06:50 AM

Were your mom and stepdad married when you were born?

Jan 19, 2011, 12:39 PM
    No, my mom was married to my biological father at the time I was born and she never allowed me and my older sister and brother to have any visits with him and we love him. He is a little strange, but, funny and he has known my children from the time they were babies and he moved to another state in 1998. I'm going to that state to retrieve his birth certificate and my grandfather's death certificate as well for inheritance reasons.

Jan 19, 2011, 12:41 PM
    Will I have to pay for this or can he write a letter stating that he is my biological father in order to have my stepfather's name removed, add his and change my name back to his surname on my birth certificate?
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cherokeemoore View Post
    Will I have to pay for this or can he write a letter stating that he is my biological father in order to have my stepfather's name removed, add his and change my name back to his surname on my birth certificate?
    Its going to take more then a letter and it may not be possible to change on the birth certificate. The laws of your state may not allow it if you have already reached the age of majority.

Jan 19, 2011, 12:58 PM
    What if I sent them a copy of my mom&dad's marriage certificate showing proof that they were married at the time I was born or proof of when my name was changed; I was at least 15 yrs of age and all of my school records were under my real name, even on my high school diploma and my elementary school records.
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 01:02 PM

Its really up to the judge at this point. You may want to consult a lawyer in your area and see what they have to say about it and the way to proceed.

Jan 19, 2011, 01:04 PM
    Thanks, I will be in touch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Biological father not on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

My common law spouse and I have been together for 6 years. He is the biological father of our twins. However, I did not include his name in the birthcertificate. We are now planning to get married. How do I go about putting his name on their birth certificate?

I want my non biological father taken off my birth certificate [ 2 Answers ]

I want my non biological father taken off my birth certificate, how can I do this? Does he need to know? How much does this cost? I don't no who my really dad is, but the man on my birth certificate is a bully and I'm scared if he finds out he may turn nastey on my mum. Please help.

Biological father not on birth certificate [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old son, his biological father has never been in the picture, the man I am with now has been with my son since he was 1. We got his name legally changed on his birth certificate to my current husband last name and also added him on the birth certificate. Does his biological father...

Non biological father on birth certificate [ 4 Answers ]

I am getting ready to have a baby and the biological father is not exactly taking part. He has dropped out of high school, he is unemployed, and couldn't provide the proper care for a baby. I am getting legally married before baby is born and my baby will then have my husbands last name. Can my...

View more questions Search