Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2011, 06:59 PM
    Collection agencies lying to get credit card information
    A collection agency called someone I know who is 84 years old and suffers from memory loss and outright lied to her and stated she owed $40, 000.00 on an American Express bill. The collection agency told her they were going to reduce her debt somehow but needed another credit card number from a card she had recently received to proceed with the transaction. I spoke to the person on the phone and they told me the same thing that she owed $40, 000 and they would somehow reduce her debt if they give her a different credit card number. When I called American Express on the lady's behalf they told me her bill was a fraction of what the collection agency stated. In short she outright lied to get her credit card number. Is this legal? If she had given her the credit card number and she used it for a purpose different from what she stated wouldn't that be considered fraud? Who would I report this incident to?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 18, 2011, 07:06 PM

This was not a collection agency, it was a crook, they do this and either use the number or sell it.

This person needs to cancel that number and get a new credit card number. You would report it to the local police
    Also keep a eye on that bill, and also they need to keep a eye on their credit report if these people try and get new credit in their name
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 18, 2011, 07:13 PM

Scam, I get a scam every week from AOL asking me to reregister my account because all info was lost. AOL isn't sending me those e-mails, scammers are

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I lose my home over credit card debt that has been bought by collection agencies? [ 0 Answers ]

I have a fairly large amount of equity in my home of 28 years. Due to a business failure, I accrued $50k in cedit card debt. I pleaded with the card companies to lower the % rate so I could pay them off but they said they couldn't help. I paid these companies for almost 2 years after the business...

How long do credit rating agencies hold information? [ 2 Answers ]

I've been abroad for 6 years. Had a limited credit history for 20 years prior, several mortgages and several credit cards, all paid off without paying interest (except the mortgages). On all of these I was the secondary account holder. I want to establish credit and to know what credit history...

Canada US Credit Card Debt and Collections Agencies [ 4 Answers ]

I am a Canadian living in the US. I have approx. 32K in credit card debt. The job I have does not pay anything close to what I was making in Canada and for the last 9 months have been unable to pay the minimum on these 2 credit cards. I am getting unrelenting calls from a Canadian Collections...

View more questions Search