Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenni714 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2011, 11:30 AM
    How do I do a cover letter

Hehe I just posted there. I knew it was a few days old, But I just had to shed some light on that oh so wonderful world of dropouts.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2011, 11:39 AM

Is this for real or for school? Will you send it in email or snail mail? What job is it for?

Jan 18, 2011, 11:58 AM
    For a job ,email,and a receptionist / administration
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2011, 12:24 PM

You will want to make it formal and looking just like a business letter. You will keep it short and to the point --

First paragraph, how you found out about the job;

Second paragraph, important things about you that say you can do this job well, usually points that you also have on your resume;

Third paragraph, a thank you and say you will contact them in a week or ten days or look forward to hearing from them soon.

Do you want a sample?

Jan 18, 2011, 12:30 PM
    Oh ye if you can please
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2011, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni714 View Post
    oh ye if you can please
    Are you willing to write the cover letter in complete sentences with good grammar, spelling, and punctuation?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 18, 2011, 12:39 PM
    Not only are you willing, are you able? There is no point in writing a letter for you if you can't.
    Please write 4 good sentences about your qualifications for the job here.

Jan 18, 2011, 12:46 PM
    Yes I'm able to.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2011, 12:48 PM

Did you put together a resume already?

Jan 18, 2011, 12:53 PM
    Yes.im just having issues putting a cover letter together.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2011, 01:00 PM

Your name
    Your address
    November 10, 2008

Mr. Santa Claus, Jr.
    Toy Making Supervisor
    Santa’s Workshop
    1000 Candy Cane Lane
    North Pole, Arctic 00000

Dear Mr. Claus:

I am pleased to respond to your advertisement for a receptionist as advertised in the New York Times on November 9, 2008. My qualifications very closely meet the needs outlined in the advertisement.

As you will see in the attached resume, I have worked as a receptionist at ABC Private Ltd. For 2 years where I handled incoming calls, mail, and courier services. I am familiar with Windows-based systems and am proficient with Office 2000 and MS Word. I am also familiar with spreadsheet programs such as Excel.

I would be pleased to review my qualifications in more detail during an interview with you. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call me.

Thank you for considering my application.

Very truly yours,

XYZ

Enclosure
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 18, 2011, 04:47 PM
    I have issues with helping you. You still haven't written a correctly presented sentence in your title or any of your replies.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2011, 05:18 PM

Joypulv, the example I gave was the first site that appeared after I Googled "receptionist cover letter sample." The OP could have found it too. I changed the inside address for fun.

No matter that we wanted proof that she can write one English sentence, she still has her work cut out for her to personalize the posted cover letter.

Jan 18, 2011, 05:23 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Wow thanks for the help wondergirl... but you have to be rude
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2011, 05:26 PM

Comment on Wondergirl's post
    wow thanks for the help wondergirl...but you have to be rude

I was responding to joy, jenni, not to you. We asked you to prove you can write a good sentence, but you ignored us. The comment you made criticizing me does not make sense. That scares me for your success at writing a cover letter.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 18, 2011, 05:30 PM

wow thanks for the help wondergirl... but you have to be rude
    Jenni, it's not rude, it's called being honest.

Even your above sentence is atrocious. If you can't even write properly here, how can you write a proper cover letter, even if you copy one that's already written?

The company looking for an employee will want the most qualified person that applies for the job. In today's job market you can bet that you won't be the only one applying. So stand out. Write well, speak well, act professional, show them that you're worthy to be hired. Judging by your posts, and your horrible writing skills, I wouldn't hire you if I had 100 other people to choose from (and they likely will have 100 or more people applying for the same position).

If you want this job than prove that you're the best one for the job. Prove to us that we're not wasting our time by helping you. The first way to do this is to write properly, and well.

Do you understand?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you please give me an example of a cover letter? [ 1 Answers ]

Which cotains a good introduction about a company? Please

Cover letter [ 2 Answers ]

I have just joined a new company in telecommunacation as marketing manager and I want to know how to do a cover letter for the company and how to boost sales and making the company known

Cover letter [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a freelance photographer and would like some idea of a good cover letter to use to photograph like normal people, girls, etc. but want it to clerify these pictures will only be used for my use and professional use and not be used in a manner to hurt that person in anyway. Basically I want them...

Cover letter [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I need a sample cover letter to seek forensic investigation jobs from various clients,as we have a new company and requie a standard letter to dish out to potential client introdusing ourselve and our company Thanks

Cover Letter Help [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to write a cover letter for jobs as a museum educator or docent and I really don't know what to say. I have a B.A. in History and an M.A. in Adolescent Education, but my classroom management skills are, well, not exactly existent. I'm great with younger kids and I'm good at lesson...

View more questions Search