Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2011, 09:28 AM
    Pageant Cancellation = Breach of Contract?
    We entered a pageant for out daughter and provided the required entry fees. The director never mentioned that there would be a certain number of contestants that had to pay before the pageant would go forward. I spoke to her several times via email and she never mentioned the possibility of cancellation. We purchased wardrobe specific to this pageant (winter wonderland theme) and incurred expenses for alterations, which makes the clothing non-refundable. She canceled the pageant 36 hours before and notified me via email, which I did not receive until it was too late. I did not find out about the cancellation until 45 minutes before the event while standing in the hotel (after I called her to find out what was going on). She claims to have mislaid our entry paperwork and as a result, did not call us and says that her email notification should have been enough. She says that she canceled because she did not have enough contestants to make the drive. She did not even notify the hotel where the pageant was to be held, as they thought the event was still going forward and had the room set up when we arrived. Our five year old was absolutely devastated, as she had practiced and was very excited about the pageant. She has offered to return our entry fees, but will not reimburse us for the expenses we incurred as a result. Is this a breach of implied contract?

Are we able to sue for the expenses we incurred? (we have the receipts to prove that these items were purchased specifically for this pageant and were purchased only after we registered and paid our entry fees). Did she fail to do her due diligence but not calling us to inform us of the cancellation, or never mentioning that the pageant going forward was contingent on the number of contestants? If we sue her successfully, do we have to turn over all the items that we purchased to her?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2011, 09:37 AM

It would all depend on EXACTLY how any contract was worded. And as much as I hate to say it... you may have to pay a lawyer to review it.

Also where you live as in Country, and state or Province is important. Laws may vary by location. We do have members from all four corners of the globe so to speak... so assumptions can't be made as to where you are.
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2011, 09:44 AM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    We are in Richmond, Virginia. There were no terms or conditions or even a mention of cancellation in the paperwork. All we had was an entry form with the time and place of the pageant.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2011, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kcomissiong View Post
    If we sue her successfully, do we have to turn over all the items that we purchased to her?
    Hello k:

Yes. Your lawsuit is designed to make you WHOLE - not ahead.. If she PAYS for the things you are OUT as a result of her breach of your contract, she gets to have them. Or, you can keep them and sue her for less.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2011, 10:18 AM

Thank you to everyone who has shared so far.The text below is the exact paperwork we filled out and returned, minus identifying details.

We do accept PayPal, fees through PayPal must include a 4% handling fee. PayPal to [email protected] No door entries will be accepted. You must send in your entry and deposit to enter. We do offer a sibling discount.
    Name ________________________________________________ Age________ DOB_____________________
    Address __________________________________________City____ _____________State_______Zip________
    Parent's _________________________________E-mail_____________________Phone____________________
    * Mark events entering for one or both pageants and be sure to fill in the age division competing in.*
    Entering XXX _______ Age Division ________
    Beauty $45_________, Casual Wear $10________, Natural Photo $10__________
    Sides – $5 each ------ Simply Adorable _________, Sweetest Face___________, Prettiest Eyes __________
    Total for all events: $80 or save $10 and do all events above for $70 by sending in your entry & deposit by Jan. 10th!
    Entering XXX________ Age Division ________
    Beauty $45______________, Outfit of Choice $10 ____________, Photogenic $10_______________
    Sides - $5 each ---Best Dress ________, Best Smile __________, Prettiest Hair _____________
    Total for all events: $80 or save $10 and do all events above for $70 by sending in your entry & deposit by Jan. 10th!
    *****Special***** - Enter both pageants for $120 with entry and deposit in by Jan. 10th!
    Total Amount Enclosed $________ ($30 deposit required to enter 1 pageant, $60 deposit required to enter both, the deposit is subtracted from your total and balance due can be paid at registration) No Checks Accepted. Entries will be accepted after the deadline date with a paid in deposit but the discounted prices will not be honored.
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2011, 10:19 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    Thanks so much!
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2011, 10:33 AM

Hello again, k:

You've got a rock solid case. It LOOKS like a contract to me... But, here's the clincher... The law says that IF a contract is VAGUE on a particular subject (and this one IS), the party who PREPARED the contract will LOSE.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2011, 10:40 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    Thanks again. That is pretty much what I thought, but my judgment was clouded by being pissed!
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2011, 11:31 AM

Always helps to have a second... or third.. disinterested party look it over.
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2011, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Always helps to have a second...or third..disinterested party look it over.
    Hello again, smoothy:

That's what a small claims court judge IS - a disinterested third party. His "advice" is pretty cheap too. The filing fee to have him hear her case is about $50. I don't know many lawyers who would give her advice for that little.. Plus, she has the added advantage of THIS lawyer (judge), being able to back up his advice (court order) with TEETH.

We've had this argument before. You didn't agree with me then. I doubt you'll agree with me now.

excon
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2011, 11:42 AM

Don't have to agree... all the time.

THe OP knows what their next step should be now... rather than just stewing over it like they were. And more confident than they might have been otherwise.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 18, 2011, 11:50 AM

Looks like a good chance of winning, they should have been clear. The only defense they may have is that if it is "common knowledge" and "common Practice" for these types of events to cancel if there is not enough people.

In those cases then some clauses are expected or normally known.

Also their defense will be that pagent clothing may be used in other events. Most Pagent families go to dozens each year. ( or more)

Just telling you what to expect as a defense they other side may use.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2011, 01:32 PM

Is the pageant person in the state of VA? You may win the judgement but have no way to collect. I have run into a similar situation (different scenario than this) and have a 5k judgement on a couple, but they moved to Texas. It is hard to get a garnishment on folks out of state without having to pay an attorney.
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2011, 01:49 PM

That's always the case with a judgement... winning it is only half the battle. Collecting it is a separate issue... and the more difficult of the two.
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2011, 02:24 PM
    Well all of my additional info didn't show up so I'll restate here...

Generally speaking, if a pageant is contingent upon the number of entrants, the director will note in on the paperwork (ie: prizes depend on XX# of entries, or must receive xx# entries by date, if canceled, will refund or roll fees to next event)

Both parties are in Virginia.

This pageant had a theme (winter wonderland)and wardrobe was purchased with this in mind. I may be able to re-stone the dress for another event (it has snowflakes) but furry casual wear won't work in the spring. Our daughter is five so saving it for next year is out of the question; it won't fit. Additionally pageant clothes are altered to fit very closely since fit affects scores.. they fit for a couple of months at most. We only do about 4 pageants per year and weren't planning to reuse these items.

I think that everyone can agree that even if a cancellation policy was in place, not advising a participant of the cancellation is just rude. Having a little girl find out 45 minutes before is cruel.

Thanks everyone for your help, this has been really great to have some advice and a sounding board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breach of contract [ 1 Answers ]

If I'm in a verbal contract with a company that said they would give me five days to see if I can handle the volume and to make a decision on delivering 5000 t-shirts are they liable for breach of contract?

Attorney Review/Cancellation of Contract [ 2 Answers ]

My parents entered into an agreement of sale on their home on 5/28 with the fully executed contracts delivered on 5/29 at 3:30pm. Our attorney reviewed the contract on 6/3 and amended the contract to include a clause that the sellers must be able to coordinate the closings on both their existing...

Breach of contract [ 2 Answers ]

I signed a contract to buy and put up 1000.00 earnest money . I know my cash is gone , but the contractor built a garage because it was stated that we asked for it in the contract which we did , but it has taken a lot longer than expected and the times seem to be getting tougher ,so can we breach...

Breach of Contract [ 2 Answers ]

To whom it may concern, I am a president of a non-profit Inc. We sold a house for 119,500.00 and received a 350.. 00 for earnest money... Loan is OK, Buyers are not calling nor returning calls, It is apparent that they may be breaching the contract. What should we do, Thank you Derek...

Breach Of Contract [ 2 Answers ]

In My Father's Legal Separation Papers, It Is Stated That Upon His Death, All Of His Land And Home Goes To His Legally Separated Wife With The Exception Of One Acre That Is To Be Given To His Daughter. He Died In July, 2006 And In September, She Deeded All Of The Land To Her Son. The Legal...

View more questions Search