Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 2, 2011, 04:14 PM
    Hi champy,
    Have you consider purchasing a insterment that produces "white noise"? Check it out at: http://www.cambridgesoundmanagement....FQtU7AodHAswIQ
    Or simply Google "White Noise Generators"
    Nighty-nite! Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 2, 2011, 04:33 PM
    Hello Wombler,
    Why are you concentration on Gas meter ? That's the last thing I would looked at...

Sources of humming noise can be numerous. Here are few:

1. Computer
    2. External Hard Drive
    3. Printer
    4. Fax machine
    5. Radio, TV, DVR, DVD player and / or any electronic equipment
    6. Door bell transformer ( usually hidden inside wall or attic )
    7. Ceiling fan
    8. Overhead high voltage elec. Line
    9. Incoming house electrical service line
    10. Main electrical panel
    11. Pool equipment
    12. Noise pollution / vibration from close by street / freeway
    13. Hot water circulating pump
    14. Reverse Osmosis system
    15. Icemaker
    16. Sprinkler system
    17. Modem
    18. Router
    19. Stove clock
    20. Shower steam unit / sauna
    21. Sound surround TV system
    22. Any speaker
    23. Fridgerator

... and many more

Do this: Turn OFF main electrical panel to the house
    Turn OFF main water at the curb (street - not at the house )

Stay one night w/o elec. And water service. See if you still hear the sound. If you do it means it is not in your house. If you do than second night, turn OFF only elec. Panel. See if the noise continues. If positive than look for souse of the noise in your water system. If it doesn't than look for the source in your elect. System including appliances and small electronic components.

Lastly, have to mention: the older you get, more "humming" noise you hear in your head. Make sure you are not "imagining" it.

Let me know how you did. Back to you. Milo
    wombler Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2011, 10:27 PM
    Thanks guys but I found out def what mine was. It was the water outlet pipe at the back yard. My plumber thinks the pump in the ground must be loud and vibrates through my house so when we take the lid off and block the pipe near my bedroom, I no longer hear it. I heard it for a number of nights getting louder and louder about a month ago. Checked my pipe and realised my son had screwed it back on without realising it was supposed to be like that. Unscrewed it and within a few hours it had gone. I will be looking into this further as I don't like leaving the pipe unscrewed but for now I can get sleep.
    And no its not my age, I am only 41 years young. Lol
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 3, 2011, 06:15 AM
    What pipe did your son put back and why did it have to be resealed? Was it open pipe with out a stop? N What did it connect to? Why wasm it opened in the first place? More details please. Tom
    laurabeth40 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2012, 10:53 PM
    It is your smart meter or one your neighbor has on his house. I took aluminum foil and covered both mine and my neighbor smart meter, no more pulsating humming noise that was driving me crazy.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 11, 2012, 06:35 AM
    Try this on for size.

The Hum is a generic name for a series of phenomena involving a persistent and invasive low-frequency humming noise not audible to all people. Hums have been reported in various geographical locations. In some cases a source has been located. A Hum on the Big Island of Hawaii, typically related to volcanic action, is heard in locations dozens of miles apart. The Hum is most often described as sounding somewhat like a distant idling diesel engine. Typically, the Hum is difficult to detect with microphones, and its source and nature are hard to localize.

The Hum is sometimes prefixed with the name of a locality where the problem has been particularly publicized: e.g. the "Bristol Hum", the "Taos Hum", or the "Bondi Hum".[1]
    There's one explanation, Good luck, Tom
    aniramocuas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2012, 05:03 AM
    I've been hearing the hum sine February 2012, in Pennsylvania. After four months of research and a lot of luck finding smart people who have unraveled the "Mystery", I can tell you this hum is world wide, can be heard by a fragment of the population who have good hearing in that range, IT IS CAUSED BY THE "SMART ELECTRICAL GRID" search the web for a paper that explains it, google: Smart grid and Victor Nixon. It will take a lot of people coming forward and complaining to get it turned off.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 5, 2012, 06:36 AM
    What makes a "smart grid" different from a regular one? And why, if they know what causes it. Hasn't it been fixed? Regards Tom
    jjay554 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2012, 12:13 AM
    I also live in Pennsylvania and hear the "hum", I have just started hearing it and plan to further look into it.
    P.S. I am 16 years old

Also does anyone hear it at what seems to be different ranges?
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 13, 2012, 08:21 AM
    Different range? Please explain. Different from what>? Back to you, Tom

Jun 26, 2012, 06:51 PM
    By different ranges I mean it sometimes sounds like its coming from different areas in the room.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 26, 2012, 07:07 PM
    turned off electricity and water and it still hums.
    Have you tried turning off the gas?

gas people out to change regulator on gas meter as gas meter had been replaced a couple of months ago. Yay it went away for 3 days
    Since work on the gas system made a temporary change, I'd be looking at that real hard.

Jun 27, 2012, 07:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Different range? Please explain. Different from what>? Back to you, Tom
    By different ranges I mean it sometimes sounds like it's coming from different places in my room.

Jun 27, 2012, 07:55 AM
    No, I haven't tried the gas yet. I guess I'll try that. Thanks.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 27, 2012, 08:23 AM
    Let us know if that worked. Tom

Jul 14, 2012, 05:05 PM
    I have come to the conclusion that it was my pet dwarf frogs making the noise, which made sense after I did some research and found they are nocturnal.
    Erbey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2014, 06:17 PM
    I have the same issue and losing sleep on it. I know this is an old tread but have you guys found solutions? I'm thinking electricity for some reason...
    dionysus45 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2015, 08:59 AM
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]hey was just researching this as I have this, noticedthis , mine it sounds like their a cat stuck in my wall and it purrsreally low pitched...

Here's how I came across this page
    [COLOR=#0000ff]https://www.google.co.nz/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=tGcBVty1JqPu8wen4a_gDQ&gws_rd=ssl#q= my+wall+sounds+like+its+purring[/COLOR]

Here's the sound

[COLOR=#0000ff]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfdoigG75dQ[/COLOR]

Of course this is way louder on a phone recording

I also had a cricket stuck down my shower hole.. you can imagine how loud theyare... amped by the sound bouncing in the bathroom walls, think there might bea hole under the house that insects can get in... under the shower.

So mines next to my pillow... in the bedroom

And my bathrooms has its own different problems.

Dumb noises aye... and only at night.

Don't know if you're the same problem... but some info!! My research has come tobee nests. Think that's my answer

A hive of bees gives off a low buzzing noise. It's all the bees in the hiveflapping their wings to regulate the temperature. Depending on how thick thewall is between the hive and the inside of your house, it could be veryfaint.

Of course, the bigger the hive gets, the louder it gets, and the more expensiveit will be to finally fix. Thousands of bees make a lot of honey, and havingyour wall full of honey isn't as great as it sounds at first.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Humming noise stops when out of house for several days. [ 8 Answers ]

I hear a hum throughout the house that is constant. However, I noticed that when when I return to the house after a vacation it takes about 2 days before the noise returns. I feel it is water related but don't know how. Can you help me with any suggestions as to what is causing the humming to...

Mysterious humming noise in the house [ 113 Answers ]

Hello, I hope you folks can help me. Recently, we have been hearing a loud, low frequency "hum" throughout our house. I have turned the main power off to determine whether it's electrical. It's not. The noise does sound like a "fog horn" going off several blasts at a time and the noise level...

Humming Noise in House [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been searching on Internet for some answers to the new "humming, pulsating sound that has begun to plague my house and cause me countless sleepless nights for the past three to four months. Like some of the other responders, I have turned all the power off to the house to see if that is...

Diagnose pulsating water noise [ 2 Answers ]

Two days ago I started hearing what sounded like dripping water. It is constant at about 1 second intervals. The sound is traveling through the water pipes as it can be heard in our bathrooms and kitchen. I can feel the vibration in the cold water line but not the hot. I have tried shutting off...

View more questions Search