Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smokey0066 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 11:48 PM
    Transferring home ownership.
    I am wondering if there is a way for my parents to transfer their home to me. The reason we are trying to transfer the house to me is that they will be retiring soon and will most likely leave the country with only occasional visits back to the states. People we've talked to thus far have recommended against it or tell us its not possible without them selling me the house. These people would be our real estate agent and the loan officer we worked with.

I've done a little reading on the net and it sounds like it is possible with a deed transfer but it could be messy? Can the home be a "gift" or something. Basically what is the easiest way to accomplish a transfer of ownership?

Who would I talk to about this to get more information? And how do we handle the mortgage that is currently on the house? Would I have to take out a mortgage to pay off the remaining balance of the current mortgage or would I have to take out a mortgage for the full value of the home?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2007, 10:16 AM
    First if they have a loan against the property, to completely take it out of their name into yours, their loan will have to be paid off.

So in fact they would have to sell it to you, you would get a loan , pay off their loan ( or assume their loan if they allow it) and transfer ownership.

If they did not have a loan on it, they could merely transfer deed to you, but you would owe gift taxes on the amount of the home

They can merely add you to their deed, it would have them and you as the owner of the home.

If they are going to leave the country then you plan to move in and use the home.

You can also get a powre of attorney from them, that gives you rights to do all legal busienss inregard to the house.

I assumed they have a loan against the house since you mentioned loan officer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transferring hard drive to run as slave [ 5 Answers ]

OK my old computers mother board fried.. so I got another computer same intel celeron same emachines brand but they both r using same mother board go figure... so I was going to try to slavage the information on the old hard drive and yes the computer recignises it perfectly fine shows up on my...

Transferring deeds [ 3 Answers ]

After we got married my ex husband bought a house just in his name, now such property was declared a community property,we have to go back to court for the final resolution in November. So far, he has taken private loans and there is little equity left; how can I force him to put my name in the...

Transferring a 401 [ 2 Answers ]

I have an account with Valic about 100K in it, it is in a retirement 401 started with my old co. I have moved to a new job, they have a 401 k with BBand T. Should I transfer the original 401 or just start a new one. If I leave the original I can not add to it right? What's the best way to have...

Ownership of the media [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please help me answer the following question: What is the direct and indirect ownership of the media? How might it be viewed as a threat to democracy? What do you think?

Transferring big file [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm Wessley, I have a movie file of around 600MB on a pc. Is it possible for me to transfer it to an other pc if I only have the internet, and a floppy drive. Is there any software available that can either zip the file sufficiently, or that can split it into smaller files? Thanks

View more questions Search