Yep - really.
    peterbranton Posts: 123, Reputation: 2

Jan 17, 2011, 08:44 AM
    Comment on J_9's post
    Sigmund Freud
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 17, 2011, 09:21 AM

I think, therefore I am. I scoop kitty litter, therefore I am. I do laundry, therefore I am. I shovel snow, therefore I am.

Want more?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 17, 2011, 10:13 AM

Wondergirl: How do you know your cat exists? Because you see it (or smell it when changing litter) - you brain perceives the cat in front of you. Which means at the fundamental level you must prove your own existence before you can claim that you have the ability to perceive the cat. So how do you know you exist? Because you think. Thus sayeth Descartes.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 17, 2011, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Wondergirl: How do you know your cat exists? Because you see it (or smell it when changing litter) - you brain perceives the cat in front of you. Which means at the fundamental level you must prove your own existence before you can claim that you have the ability to perceive the cat. So how do you know you exist? Because you think. Thus sayeth Descartes.
    When I scoop, the litter becomes clean. Etc. That's beyond my own senses, because the cats will use it (but won't if it's dirty).

(You're welcome to come on over to help scoop.)
    Expert

Jan 17, 2011, 10:39 AM

You realize that according to Schrodinger your cat may actually be dead (sorry).
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 17, 2011, 10:54 AM
    You realize that according to Schrodinger your cat may actually be dead (sorry).
    I have five cats. If you were here at mealtime, you wouldn't say that.
    Animus Posts: 93, Reputation: 3

Jan 18, 2011, 11:37 AM
    I think its absolutely hilarious that you asked a paradoxical question on an ask search engine. That's like ordering pizza at a Chinese restaurant.
    Expert

Jan 18, 2011, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Animus View Post
    I think its absolutely hilarious that you asked a paradoxical question on an ask search engine. That's like ordering pizza at a Chinese restaurant.
    You've never heard of Chinese pizza?

Chinese Pizza
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jan 18, 2011, 12:50 PM
    "I think therefore I am" is the logical starting point for Descartes theory of knowledge.

In the end, " I think therefore I am" is a tautology. It is a self-evident truth and as such it cannot be proven false. "I think therefore I am" is the same as saying, " I think therefore I think".

It was an interesting starting point because it set up the distinction between mind and body. Descartes claimed the mind is a thinking substance while the body is an extended or physical substance. This also marked the beginning of modern philosophy.

Other than this I don't see Descartes postulation as being of any real value.

Tut
    Expert

Jan 18, 2011, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    This also marked the beginning of modern philosophy.
    And also the beginning of modern science. The idea that nature is best understood by observing how it works was new and revolutionary - prior to that the workings of nature were explained by religion or the philosphical "systems" of the Greek philosophers. Descartes was the first to bring skepticism to ideas about nature - meaning don't believe something just because it's commonly thought to be true unless it can be observed or demonstrated.

Jan 18, 2011, 02:43 PM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    Sounds nice really

Jan 18, 2011, 02:44 PM
    Comment on Animus's post
    Yes sounds nice really
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 01:28 AM

I'm thinking that I'll get some of that Chinese pizza. Therefore, I am going to be at the Chinese pizza restaurant.

I'm really hoping that WG's cats won't be there, dead or alive.

Don't throw things. I had to say it. ;)
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jan 19, 2011, 02:33 AM
    And also the beginning of modern science. The idea that nature is best understood by observing how it works was new and revolutionary - prior to that the workings of nature were explained by religion or the philosphical "systems" of the Greek philosophers. Descartes was the first to bring skepticism to ideas about nature - meaning don't believe something just because it's commonly thought to be true unless it can be observed or demonstrated.
    Totally agree

Tut
    Animus Posts: 93, Reputation: 3

Jan 19, 2011, 10:18 AM
    The idea that nature is best understood by observing how it works was new and revolutionary
    This part needs rephrasing. Modern science was revolutionary because of the need to discover the CAUSE to the effects that we have been observing for thousands of years.
    Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Animus View Post

This part needs rephrasing. Modern science was revolutionary because of the need to discover the CAUSE to the effects that we have been observing for thousands of years.
    Not really. Take as an example the famous experiment that Galileo performed dropping objects from the Tower of Pisa. He observed that the object's weight has no effect on how long it takes to hit the ground, which was not at all in agreement with what everyone "knew" to be true. That was science - he observed a phenomenon, repeated his experiment, and reported the results. But he had absolutely no idea why objects behave this way. It wasn't until Newton came along much later that an explanation was offered for this effect. But even Newton's explanation of gravity and F=ma doesn't truly explain the "cause" of gravity or why objects have inertia.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does God's name ''I AM'' make you feel? [ 27 Answers ]

Imagine praying to God , and calling Him with His name I AM ! Doesn't this somehow make you feel one with Him? For if I say '' I AM is Life '' am I not speaking about myself also at the same time that I call my God's name? And isn't this happening every time I call Him with His name 'cause when...

View more questions Search