Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foxcute Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 09:11 PM
    Sailing
    Your vsl I'm making through the water of 14kts... your vsl traveled 30nm in 2hrs and 24mins..
    What current are you experiencing?
    The answer is head current of 1.5kts.. I need the formula... *** help.tnx
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jan 15, 2011, 09:41 PM
    What's the relationship between distance, rate, and time?

You have the distance traveled, and you have the time. So if you can answer that question, you can calculate the actual speed you traveled. Since you also know the speed you appear to be going relative to the water (14 knots), the speed of the current must be the difference between the two.

jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jan 15, 2011, 10:18 PM
    Don't give me a "No" rating because you're too lazy to look up the relationship between distance, rate, and time. A three-year-old can find the answer to that with a Google search.

We're here to HELP you with your homework, not do it for you.

So I ask you again, what's the INCREDIBLY SIMPLE formula relating distance, rate, and time? If it's not in your textbook, as I said, you can find the answer within seconds on any search engine.

Once you have that formula, all you need to do is find the difference between your actual speed (from the formula) and the speed you thought you were going (relative to the water).

And just in case it's unfamiliar to you, "nm" means nautical miles, a unit of distance a little longer than a standard mile. "Kts" or "knots" is the same thing as nautical miles per hour (i.e. speed). You can pretend that the distance is miles and the speed is in mph if that makes it less confusing.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2011, 12:36 AM

foxcute, I'll have to tell you to read the rules about giving thumbs up or down for the forum. Negative rating is used for factually incorrect posts, not posts that didn't give you an answer, because we aren't a question/answer site, but a help site.

Did you at least read the post of jcaron? The formula you asked for is indeed in his post, but stated in words.

Since you also know the speed you appear to be going relative to the water (14 knots), the speed of the current must be the difference between the two.
    Which means:

Speed of current = Apparent speed - True speed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sailing-- Zuma [ 3 Answers ]

I was looking for a used sailboat and I found this incredible, mint condition (I've seen it in person) used Zuma selling for $300-- because it's an old model. My grandfather decided to buy it for me. The only thing is it dosen't have the zuma look. It looks exactly lke a sunfish. Plus, it has an...

Sailing problems [ 2 Answers ]

A boat travels in a direction of N40(deg) E for 3 hours at 20 mph. How far North and how far East did the boat travel?

Sailing from Australia to New Zealand [ 1 Answers ]

I want to board a sailingyacht to sail from Australia to New Zealand. Where do I find sites to find a boat?

View more questions Search