Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srose19312 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 02:22 PM
    Hourly salary laws?
    Is it leqal for an employer to lower your hourly pay rate?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2011, 02:23 PM

Is there a union or employment contract? If not, it's employment at will (particularly in this economy). Of course, if your pay rate is lowered you can resign and file for Unemployment insurance for changed circumstances.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jan 19, 2011, 09:44 AM

It is legal for your rate to be lowered. It must never be lowered to less than the minimum wage. If the state minimum wage is different than the federal than the higher wage must be used.

In addition in many states there must be a notice period and it must be in writing.
    In addition it cannot be retro. You must be paid the old wage for all work already performed and the new wage must take affect only on work not yet performed.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abuse of Exempt (Salary) status [ 1 Answers ]

My husband works for a company that pays him salary. He is a general manager with this company. He is working anywhere from 60 to 70 hours a week. I had read somewhere that if a person is salary that they must work at least 50% of their time doing manager work. He is doing at least 70% of...

Hourly over salary [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone in the State of Georgia who is an houry employee be the boss of an salary employee?

Salary vs Hourly, punching a clock on salary. [ 2 Answers ]

My company put me on salary a few years back. I still have to work overtime and I still have to punch a time card, I just dont get paid for any overtime hours. Also I have not gotten the standard raise that I used to get anymore. I was wondering is this fair practice?

View more questions Search