Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Jan 14, 2011, 05:34 PM
    Teacher took my iPhone away, won't give it back; gave 2 other students phone back.
    I go to a high school. I got caught listening to music one day in class, my teacher took my phone away. I thought she was going to give it back at the end of the day. When I came and asked her, she said I was listening to music during a classmates presentation and my parent will have to pick it up at the front office. My parents work 12 hours or more a day, they work 6 days a week and doesn't come home till 8 pm. That is the problem for me.

Two days later, when it was my turn to present, I saw another student texting/looking through pics on her iPhone. The teacher saw it and signaled me to pause, she walked to the student and took her phone away.

I learned the next day that my teacher gave that girl's phone back after class. I also learned that another classmate who always text in class gets his phone taking away a lot of times, but always get it back after class.

I thought it was extremely biased and unfair of my teacher. I confronted her about it. What she basically said was that: She didn't give my phone back because I was LISTENING to music in class, all the other student did was text, so she gave their phone back.

WHAT? So you listening to music is bad while texting isn't so bad?! I feel so upset, I feel like she likes the other student better.

I'm thinking of talking to my principle or someone higher power about this. What should I do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 14, 2011, 05:39 PM

I do see the difference between listening to music which meant you weren't paying attention at all, totally dissing your classmate, and briefly texting.

I would explain to the teacher that your parents can't get off work to come into school. Ask if you can arrange a time for them to call and talk to the teacher.

And, next time keep your phone turned off in class.

Jan 14, 2011, 06:01 PM
    After this I won't take my phone out again... for sure.

I still don't see where that believes going. The main reason to take away phones are so students are discouraged to take their phone out AT ALL in class, why does it matter what it's used for? Texting, taking pics, listening to music, etc etc. it's all disruptive, not paying attention, and disrespecting behavior! The guy who was texting repeatedly texted in class and my teacher repeatedly gave his phone back after class! Repeatedly. This was my 1st time ever.

I tried to talk to her, I tried to reason my logic and promise her I won't take it out again. I said since this is my 1st time, give the phone back to me, if I ever do it again then take it to the office. (I even mentioned the other students repeated texts) But no, "You were listening to music."

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2011, 02:58 PM

If the rules are unfair, speak to the principal. I see no other way to resolve this.

I would guess that the teacher thinks it's possible to text and pay attention but it is not possible to listen to music and pay attention.

In my school district the first time you are caught using your phone in class it is taken for the entire semester - no exceptions. Seems harsh but it's school policy and posted EVERYWHERE.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 05:43 PM

Yes, go talk with the Principal. At this point she doesn't even have your phone. Many times, if you conduct yourself properly, the Principal will return property with a warning. Read your handbook, what is the school's policy on cell phones? Teachers do not make up their own rules for cell phone, they can be lax on a rule but they can't not go over and beyond the rules scope. I.E. if the rule says she can take the phone and send it to the office. Then she can do that or less, like returning it, but she can't keep it forever.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 07:18 PM

So when you told your parents about it and that they wanted them to pick it up, what did they say

I think the main issue was they wanted your parents involved and hopefully have them do more punishments.

I do agree that all of the students should have had them taken and all sent to the office to be picked up by the parents.
    adthern Posts: 282, Reputation: 28

Jan 17, 2011, 03:53 AM
    Have your parents write a letter to the principal stating their hardship (work preventing them from picking it up) and that they want the property returned to you and that they will take care of any further punishment. It will depend on the jurisdiction you are in, but generally a student's personal property can not be withheld indefinitely (unless unlawful) and certainly not in the face of a parental demand.

Though I agree, you should first talk with the principal and explain that you understand your mistake and will never do it again.

Jan 18, 2011, 05:38 PM
    I got good news people! I talked to my principle today at school and managed to persuade him that it was unfair that I got my phone taken away while the other students didn't and he took my word!

My phone is back where it belongs now :) Thanks for all the suggestions.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2011, 05:48 PM

Thanks for coming back and letting us know it worked out for you.

Must be a big relief!
    sweetlady9911 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2011, 07:08 PM
    I am a teacher by profession. All of you students are aware of school rules on cell phone usage. Why do you persist in using your phone during school time. School is for learning not socializing and doing your own thing. Earn the right to do your own thing. Use your phone properly within guidelines and after school. Be mature and accepot responsibility for your actions. Cell phones are to be used after school and only within school guidelines or don't bring cell phones to school. This is the same advice I have given my own children. I do not run to the school to retrieve their phones. I go when the mood fits me and my schedule to teach them a lesson. The more they whine and complain the longer I take to get it, if ever. Now, my daughter s act appropriately in school and put their phones in their locker until after school. Next time their phones will be shut off permanently until they can afford their own service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I gave buyer healthy pup, she returned I gave mony back minus deposit is this right [ 15 Answers ]

A buyer brought a health puppy from me, after only 24 hours she asked if she could return puppy as it was unwell, I agreed she could return puppy, buyer then asked for money back, I agreed but said the deposit is non refundable, as I provided her with a health pup, and when pup was returned the...

My ex gave up his parental rights and wants them back [ 5 Answers ]

My ex-husband gave up his parental rights to our now 4 year old daughter in 2007 and is now threatening to get an attorney and take me to court to get his rights back and joint custody. We got divorced overseas while we were both active duty and stationed in Japan. He initially left when our...

FiancŽ gave ring back [ 72 Answers ]

Fiancé gave ring back after a fight, told me to get it cleaned... I briefly asked her the next day if she wanted to pick it up (it's now clean) and she said we'll talk tomorrow... Today is the tomorrow... We talk tonight... I'm not sure whether she is going to put our relationship on the chopping...

FiancŽ gave ring back but. [ 1 Answers ]

We've been engaged for about 2+ months. This past weekend we went to Miamii to visit her relatives. One night she catches me looking at her cousin who at that time was decked at going to a club. An argument ensues soon after, I leave the house early the next morning wandering around Miami aimlessly...

Still together, but I gave back the ring [ 20 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have been together for over a year. I am very heart broken right now because we were engaged but I made a decision to give the ring back. His mother and I has a miscommunication over where a date a time for a party for myself was. After that she ripped into me about the...

View more questions Search