Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2011, 04:06 PM
    Child support and filing taxes
    Does child support have to be filed with our income taxes? Is it considered taxable income?

It's kind of a multi-fold problem because the order was written wrong, his ex received over $1,200 in overpayment which she was ordered to repay; they are also still withholding from his unemployment check because the order wasn't written properly. Between those two things, they're showing he received almost $2,000 more last year than the court ordered amount - it wasn't support, it was just him getting repaid his own money from her and unemployment.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 14, 2011, 05:03 PM
    Child support is neither taxabe income for the recipient nor tax deductible for the payor. So all of the over payments/underpayements are NON-events tax-wise. It has ZERO effect on his tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to subtract the child support amount of my 1099-G before filing my taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I have child support deducted from my unemployement benefit for the whole 2009, My 1099-G did not show where the child support was deducted. Should I ask for a new 1099-G minus the child support? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Filing child support for the first time after child is 18 yrs old [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and his ex have a 12 year old daughter, he has been paying the mother in cash for the whole time and has no proof of the payments. He is scared to make her mad fearing she may go and file back child support on him. He thinks he can make her happy until the child is 18 and have his...

Married and filing for child support. [ 1 Answers ]

Will it come up that I am married when I file for child support? But separated now.

Back child support and filing jointly [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancée and I are planning on getting married soon. He currently owes back child support in the amount of $1500.00 (this was just ordered 2 weeks ago as there is an ongoing custody battle with his ex wife). I have 3 children from a previous marriage and have always claimed the EIC. If we get...

Filing for Divorce, Child support, Allimony [ 12 Answers ]

I am filing for a divorce from my husband with whom we have been married for over a year. He has been very good to my kids and played a fatherly role during this period. I cought him cheating on me which he does not want to admit. I am sure he will pay allimony until the divorce is over with. ...

View more questions Search