Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needhelp9933 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2011, 10:42 AM
    Eviction
    How to evict two adult sons who do not pay rent? We live in SC.They do not pay rent.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2011, 11:22 AM

Exactly the same way you would evict any other tenant who does't pay their rent. You can serve them a 3 day pay or quit if you really want paid... or give them a 30 day notice that their tenancy is being terminated due to none payment of rent, and that they have 30 days to move out. Have it properly served and recorded according to your state law.

After 30 days, if they are still there... go to the court with the proof of noctice... and file for eviction. Then let the sherrif deal with putting their stuff out.

Family, friends or Tenants... the law is the same for all.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 14, 2011, 11:27 AM

Well its not quite the same way. You can't serve them with a pay or quit notice if there was no agreement to pay rent. If there was no such agreement, then they are considered periodic (month to month) residents. You have to serve them a 30 day termination of tenancy first. If they refuse to leave within the 30 days, then you need to file, with your local housing court, for an eviction order.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2011, 11:31 AM

Good point on the rent payment side... I read into it that literally they weren't paying rent... not that they may never have been expected to pay rent in the first place which is likely the case on a reread..
    peterbranton Posts: 123, Reputation: 2

Jan 14, 2011, 11:52 AM
    It sounds like your under siege, you need a neutral person to sternly advise them to pay or contribute in effort etc as it also sounds like you would like them to stay if they paid
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 14, 2011, 04:53 PM

Quote Originally Posted by peterbranton View Post
    it sounds like your under siege, you need a neutral person to sternly advise them to pay or contribute in effort etc as it also sounds like you would like them to stay if they payed
    You are new here. So you may not be aware that the law forums (like other technical forums) require answers that conform to technical specs. In this case, since this is the RE Law forum, answers need to deal with the actual statute or legal process.

If the OP had asked how to deal with sons that don't contribute to the household your answer would have been appropriate. But the questions was how to evict. Therefore your response was inappropriate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction [ 6 Answers ]

I have tenants with a month-to-month lease. The husband moved out and still residing are his wife and daughter. They have not paid all of Sept, any of October or November's which is due on the first. I have filed eviction and we have a court date coming up. They are habitually late and I am...

VA eviction notice.can we pay and stop the eviction [ 3 Answers ]

My son and his wife are living in VA in a rental house. Rent is due the 1st with a 5 day grace period. When they realized they weren't going to be have money for rent until the 18th (wife is a teacher and that is her monthly payday) she called the rental agent and explained. She was told that as...

Eviction [ 1 Answers ]

What is the process on an eviction in the state of Florida? How do I see if it was done in the court?

Eviction in WA [ 4 Answers ]

I was served a eviction notice from the court but the landlord neve gave me a 20 day notice and my brother was the one that took the eviction notice from the server does that count

Kentucky eviction law motion for eviction [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I really need help I bought a house for 30,000 from a lady we have just a one simple page contract basically states I paid 15000.00 dollars down In April 05' and then make payments of 400.00 a month for 36 months Contract has no sell as is in it because at time of sale we the lady homeowner...

View more questions Search