Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kristimyers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2011, 08:49 PM
    Can I raise bathroom floor to move my toilet that sits in a slab floor?
    Moving my toilet appx 3 feet. It is currently a slab foundation and I don't want to have to drill through the concrete, so can I elevate the floor, move my toilet and extend the piping into the old toilet drain in the slab?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 13, 2011, 06:05 AM

Hi Kristen...

You can't do what you propose here.

If I undertsand you, you would try to connect onto the pipe above the floor (dont know how you would attach to a toilet flange), and then run it over to where you want it, right?

Here, by doing this you would negate the toilet VENT that is now in place under the slab and your toilet would no longer flush properly.

You are best advised to bite the bullet, rent a jackhammer, and chip out the concrete to relocate the pipe. It can be a bit of labor, but then again, so is buying the material and installing and finishing a new built up floor.

In my experience, you would actually spend more time trying to install and finish the new floor than it takes to install the toilet properly... isn't that amazing, really?

More questions? Let me know, OK?

Mark
    kristimyers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2011, 09:38 PM
    Thanks! I kind of figured that's what would end up happening... spending more money doing something that I should have just bit the bullet and did in the first place.. haha! I just didn't know if this would work or not... I kind of doubted it would. Thanks for the advice :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 14, 2011, 08:55 AM

I agree with Mark's thinking. Keep the toilet where it is or get 3 bids from plumbers for the jackhammer and repipe. This is not a DIYer job for most folks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete slab:Toilet flange below floor level [ 4 Answers ]

I am Installing a hardwood floor on a concrete slab. In order for that type of installation I will need to build up the sub-floor with 1/4 plywood alone with 3/4 hardwood floor. I am installing this in the bathroom. The flange of for the toilet will be about an 1" below the floor level. How do I...

Toilet leaks from the floor. I have a septic tank and concrete slab floor. [ 1 Answers ]

My bathroom floods copiously when ever it rains. Water comes in from where the toilet joins the concrete slab floor. We removed the toilet and there is the hole connecting the toilet to the pipe for the septic tank and very wet mud around it. Water seems to just be trapped under the house as it...

DWV layout in two fixture bathroom, slab floor... [ 9 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm new here and am hoping for a little help in plumbing in the DWV for a two fixture bathroom, WC and Lav. The floor is concrete slab and I'm hoping to minimize the amount of removal necessary to plumb in the waste lines. I'm located in Northern Calif. if that helps with code...

How to transition hardwood floor to carpet/tile on a slab floor [ 1 Answers ]

We installed new hardwood flooring on our slab floor, it is a floating floor. How do we transition to tile and carpet? Do we need to glue the transitions down?

Unwanted raised 4" concrete slab bathroom floor [ 4 Answers ]

Our home is built on slab with an extra 4" slab at one end of our bedroom upon which sets our bathroom vanity area and toilet. The entire vanity area is open to the bedroom. You walk down into a large shower area shared by the toilet, which has a door. We wish to remove this raised slab area to...

View more questions Search