Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Saurabh_Shimpi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2011, 03:05 AM
    potential difference
    protons and electron are placed at point x=1cm, 3cm 5cm & x=2cm,4cm,6cm respectivelyon x-axis up to infinity what is potential difference origin
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jan 12, 2011, 08:21 AM
    We know the potential from each charge is of the form

Assuming charges of +q for the protons and -q for the electrons, you'll get contributions from the protons as follows:

and contributions from the electrons as follows:

Summing all the contributions together, we get

That last jump where the summation was replaced by ln(2) comes from the known value of the alternating harmonic series. See this link for a more in-depth explanation.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jan 12, 2011, 01:09 PM
    Comment on jcaron2's post
    By the way, since the charge locations are specified in cm, make sure your factor k is scaled to those units, not meters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to know actually potential difference is ? [ 2 Answers ]

Is it just like diffusion gradient which results in osmosis or is it something else? Moreover also when we go accroding to ohm's law current is directly propertional to potential difference, but our teacher today taught us power transmission and he said P=VI in which if V is more then I is loss...

What can a potential landlord ask? [ 4 Answers ]

We've been forced to rent again after 20+ years, however every time we inquire about a home the first question is how many kids? After I tell them 8, but 2 will be moving out as soon as we all get settled, I never hear back. Do I have to tell them? It's not like I'm looking at small apartments....

Potential difference [ 1 Answers ]

Calculate the potential difference across each resistor in parallel. 12v dc supply, 10 ohms (R) 5 ohms(R)?

Hidden Potential [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what software or program they use on the HGTV Show Hidden Potential or anythig similar to that... Thanks:D

Potential Lawsuit? [ 2 Answers ]

I am underage and was admitted through the VIP door of a popular nightclub and never had to show id. During the night I was drinking (but was not drunk). I was assaulted by someone and seriously injured. The defendant is currently standing trial for two felonies. Do I have a lawsuit against the...

View more questions Search