Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clueless dude 7 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2013, 08:29 AM
    Non of the above helped me. Cleaned everything. Replaced thermo coupler. Good flame around it, until override is released. Mostly blue flame with occasional yellow flickers. Not a great installation though. No sediment trap or drip loop. Bad control valve or junk in it?
    Matt.
    Clueless dude 7 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2013, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    Hi Mamalion,

Try what Tom has stated he is the expert.

Just a bit of expansion on what the others have said. The thermocouple is a safety device that turns off the gas if there is no pilot light. If you look closely at the burning pilot light, there is a small metal tube that sits directly in the flame, with wires that lead back to the gas valve. The thermocouple generates a small amount of electrical current when heated by the flame. This current keeps the gas safety valve open. If the pilot light gets blown out, the current stops and the gas valve closes. When you light the pilot light, you hold down the over-ride button for about 30 seconds. This allows the gas to flow long enough to heat up the thermocouple and generate current and then you can release the over-ride button and gas will continue to flow. If the thermocouple is defective, then as soon as you release the over-ride button, since there is no electrical current, the gas will stop flowing and the pilot light will go out.
    This is a pretty common failure on water heaters and furnaces. Replacement of the thermocouple is fairly simple if you are the handyman type. If not, the thermocouple is a cheap part -- about $10 bucks, Thanks.

Regards,
    John
    Non of the above helped me. Cleaned everything. Replaced thermo coupler. Good flame around it, until override is released. Mostly blue flame with occasional yellow flickers. Not a great installation though. No sediment trap or drip loop. Bad control valve or junk in it?
    Matt.
    Sepaskett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2014, 02:05 PM
    I have changed the thermal coupling twice. I have also changed the gas valve. Tried to clean everything up and checked for water in the drip valve. No dice. My water heater is only three years old. Any advice?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2014, 04:27 PM
    Hello Sepaskett,

You have posted your thread in almost a year old post, any how please tell us more about your water heater the name and the brand of your water heater, Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My pilot light won't stay lit [ 6 Answers ]

Help,I have two problems.. My upstairs furnace pilot light will light,and after holding down the pilot button for about 3-4 minutes(it says one minute,but it won't stay lit after only one)it stays,but will go out again in a day or two... The furnace for the downstairs won't light at all.. I can't...

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Gas furnace pilot won't stay lit [ 1 Answers ]

About 1 month ago pilo light wouldn't stay lit so I replaced the thermocouple.. The unit worked fine for about 2 weeks. After that when relighting it would go out after 1 day or so. Bought a new thermocouple and this one would only keep the pilot lit for 1 to 2 hours. Reinstalled the thermocouple I...

Burners won't light, or, stay lit [ 3 Answers ]

1'st time trying to turn heat on with new furnace-- hot surface ignition system -- burners don't light , or, stay lit -- can't tell which. Any special sequence needed to light? Any help appreciated

Water heater pilot light problems [ 31 Answers ]

Pilot went out, no problem relighting. BUT when I turn up the thermostat, the flame gets out of control and escapes from the two protective doors. It has started melting the plastic on the outside of the tank around the drain valve.

View more questions Search