Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigdavy_p Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Jan 11, 2011, 03:58 PM
    Power LED blinking (Dell E178FPb monitor). Wanting to repair.
    I was given a Dell monitor (E178FPb) for free, because it quit working. I would like to try to repair it if at all possible but I'm not sure what to look for. When the monitor is plugged in, the LED for the power button blinks rapidly, over and over. Any suggestions? Can it be fixed?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2011, 04:49 PM

It CAN be fixed... problem is is it worth fixing. And many times its not. Not after you buy schematics, assuming you own or can borrow the needed test gear, and know what to do with all of them... and find out what is actually defective sometimes its cheaper to buy a new one than fix an old one.. Sometimes you get lucky and it's a cheap part that fails.
    bigdavy_p Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Jan 13, 2011, 07:15 PM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    Okay. Assuming I want to at least TRY to fix it, is there anything specific that I should look for? I saw two swollen capacitors on the mainboard. Should I start by replacing those?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2011, 07:38 PM

Swollen capacitors might contribute to it but I highly doubt they are a problem by themselves. But without knowing exactly what function they serve in the circuit its hard do say for sure... they are cheap to replace however. Match the capacitance and voltage ratings. As well as the all important type. They aren't all the same nor or they generally interchangible between types.
    walter_wpg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2014, 10:26 PM
    I just repaired one of these monitors today, which had exactly the same problem. Capacitors C707 and C708 were bulging. These two are output filter capacitors for the +5V supply. The original caps were 680uF, 16V, low-ESR type, rated for 105C. I replaced them with 680uF 25V low-ESR, rated 105C, and the monitor worked perfectly after putting it back together.

I have repaired several DEL LCD monitors of this size and vintage, and by far the most common problem was bad electrolytic capacitors at the power supply output. The bulging tops are a dead giveaway. Electrolytic caps have a limited lifetime --- they "dry out" after a few thousand hours of power applied. And with these power supply designs, they are "always on" at least partially, unless the monitor is unplugged from AC power. When the output caps deteriorate, they start to go low resistance, and drag down the supply voltage. The regulator tries to start up, can't get to full voltage, resets, and tries again, over and over. That's the flashing LED you see at the power button. When the caps go, they usually do not damage any other components, and installing new capacitors will fix the problem.

I've also fixed a few monitors with bad CCFL backlight tubes, but they have different symptoms than yours. I'm 90% sure that replacing the bulging caps will fix your monitor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adapter led blinking [ 0 Answers ]

I have travelmate 5720 . When I plugged in the adapter to acer the adapter led start to blinking quickly and shows no charging sign.when I plugged it out it's led turns to be normal stabile.when I removed the battery the acer shows no life and the adapter led blinking.the jack socket is fine.the...

My Dell computer power button is blinking orange & no power [ 3 Answers ]

It was working fine. I changed the monitor and now the power light on the CPU is blinking orange and will not power up. Please help! It is a Dell Pentium 4. The monitor worked fine on another computer. I hooked up the old monitor and now it is still doing the same thing. PLEASE HELP!

Trane XE90 LED blinking continuously, why? [ 1 Answers ]

My Trane XE90 LED is blinking continuously. What does this mean?

Goodman furnace constant blinking led. [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Goodman Model # GSM100-4 furnace that has been a pain the tail. This week I went to start it up and I am getting a constant flash on the control board. I have an old, what I thought, was a good board that I swapped out. Still the same problem, constant flashing. I tried swapping the...

View more questions Search