Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcrockett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2011, 02:55 PM
    Mold--how to treat it and can the walls be painted to discourage mold?
    How do your rid cinderblock walls of mold and can you paint walls afterwards to prevent more mold?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 11, 2011, 04:22 PM
    Bleach is what kills mold. Cinderblock is so porous that you will be scrub brushing forever, but unless you hire a pressure washer and a moon suit and make a huge mess, that is what you have to do.

Paint isn't going to stop or prevent mold and will most likely peel off anyway. You have to find the source and fix it, and also prevent it with proper air flow, cross ventilation, heat, and dehumidifiers. (I have read however that dehumidifiers just pull moisture right through the wall from outside.)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2011, 05:08 PM

I agree with joy, you have to remove what's causing/allowing the mold to grow. Bleach is good on a solid surface but there are better products for something as porous as cement block. I have used Mold Blaster and also biocide, some actually have you add a cup of bleach to them. After its dried abd ventilated for several dry days you can prime with Kilz and use a block filler.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best way to treat mold [ 6 Answers ]

What is the best way to treat mold. If I soak my carpet with alcohol will it kill that mold? I had a pipe leak inside my wall and it leaked out onto the my carpted floor. We have gotten up most of the excess water but Its still a little damn causing mold underneath the carpet. I am highly...

Water damage and possible mold behind walls [ 22 Answers ]

The air conditioner in my daughter's bedroom has been dripping water onto the windowsill and this water has then been dripping into the wall space beneath the window. This has been happening over the course of the summer and I have not noticed. The damage was happening behind the furniture. The...

Landlord will not Clean mold or replace mold covered cabinate in a timely Manner [ 4 Answers ]

We have Mold in our rented house! We had a pipe break under our kitchen sink and the landlord came and fixed that about a month ago, and said he would be back to fix the cabinate under the sink. Well it is now COVERED in mold and its even growing in the drawers. We called and he came and "cleaned"...

How to remove mold stains from Interior walls? [ 5 Answers ]

Manufactured home has mold/ mold stains on wall have sprayed with bleach mixture but stains still appearing on walls. I need help fast, this house is being sold soon, and this is not black mold that is toxic just regular mold

Mold on cinderblock walls [ 8 Answers ]

I have a mold problem on cinderblock walls that I need to fix and would like to take care of it myself. I have to obviously take care of what is happening outside the building so that the moisture doesn't get to the areas that have problems, but what can I do about the inside walls. I have been...

View more questions Search