Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garf902 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2011, 08:50 AM
    I work tax exempt. 401k or roth 401k
    I am a US citizen and work overseas. I have the tax exempt status up to $85,000. This being said, should I invest in a 401k(which is before taxes) or a Roth 401K since I really don't have to pay taxes on the income I have.

Regards,
    Garf
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 11, 2011, 08:54 AM

If you pay no taxes now on your wages, then the Roth clearly makes the most sense, assuming that when you retire you'll be back in the US and subject to income taxes like the rest of us.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2011, 12:04 PM

Yes something that's not taxed (under current law anyway) at withdrawl time. I think the inverstment funds should be treated as post tax income, not pretax income.

I've done that for a number of years... question for the OP. You are still Obligated to SSI and Medicare taxes, correct... just exempted from federal, State and local Income taxes? THAT was the situation I was in for almost 6 years.

Curious how the current tax code views this however. Its been nearly 2 decades since I was in the situation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 11, 2011, 12:42 PM

Well unless there is matching company funds, I am a full supporter of the Roth even if you were paying taxes
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 11, 2011, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Well unless there is matching company funds, I am a full supporter of the Roth even if you were paying taxes
    It's really not all that cut and dry. If you think your tax rate will be higher when you retire than it is now, then yes, a Roth makes sense. If you think it will be lower, then not. Of course the crystal ball can be very cloudy, and throw in differences in tax laws between states and it makes it murkier. For example consider a worker currently living in NYC and planning on retiring to FL - a Roth would probably not make sense for that person.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roth 401k early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I opened a 401k roth last year and put in 3k. Now it has a gain of $300. Due to certain reasons, I wish to withdraw all my roth money. (3000+300). I am still 26 years old. How much penalties I may face when I withdraw? Thanks

Can you withdraw tax free from a solo roth 401k for qualified college expenses? [ 3 Answers ]

I am thinking of opening a solo 401k and contributing to the Roth 401k portion of the account. I am also trying to find out if I can then "hire" my children during the summer (they are 2 and 4 years old), but most of their "earned income" from myself employed business into their roth 401k and then...

401K or Roth 401K [ 3 Answers ]

Hai, I am an Indian, presently working for a USA company. I will be in US for next 2-3 years and then I will return back to my country. My employer gave the option to enroll for 401K plan or Roth 401k or a combination of both. And the employer matches my contribution at the rate of 50cents on a...

401k to Roth IRA [ 3 Answers ]

I am an italian citizen who worked in the US for 5 years on a H1-B visa. I will be going back to Italy for good at the end of March 2006 and I want to rollover my 401k to a Roth IRA (through a direct rollover IRA). The amount in the 401k is around $40,000. My income for 2005 was $49,000. If I...

View more questions Search