Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    biz1111 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2011, 04:00 PM
    Router connection
    I have an ethernet cable that I need to connect into two different devices (xbox and pc) this ethernet cable is already coming out of one router can I use this cable to power another router?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 10, 2011, 04:15 PM

You don't want to do that. If you have no more ports on your router, then you can daisy chain a switch to the router to add more ports.
    biz1111 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2011, 04:31 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Nah the problem is that the ethernet cable I have is 250 feet of wire and it was a pain to wire so I was trying to avoid having to wire another one thanks though
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jan 10, 2011, 07:07 PM
    You can but your mileage may vary. If you can string another cable you're better off. But if you have no other option then you can split the cable and run two connections over a single Cat5 cable. This is not a typical way of doing connections and is generally not recommended but it does still work. You can either buy dedicated splitters or make your own if you have some RJ45 plugs and crimper. You take pins 1236 and dedicate those to one jack and 4578 to the other. Basically you take the orange/green pain for one connection and the blue/brown pair to another as follows:

1 White Orange
    2 Orange
    3 White Green
    4 Blue
    5 White Blue
    6 Green
    7 White Brown
    8 Brown

The cable has the above wires... the RJ45 connector also has the same ones. For the first connection take the orange/green pair and connect them as normal leaving out the blue/brown wires. For the 2nd connection take the blue/brown wires and connect them to the same positions as the first. i.e. 4578 will connect to 1236 on the RJ45 ends.

Worse case scenario you may have to configure your end devices to run at 10Mbps but this generally will work for 100Mbps especially since you're not near the 100 meter mark. I have this same scenario in my house.

Here's an example of a commercial splitter:

1-to-2 Female-Female RJ45 Network Cable Spliter Coupler

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connection to Internet using router [ 12 Answers ]

I just moved and switched from DSL to Cable for Internet service. I can get an internet connection directly through the modem to the computer but when I try to route through my router I can not get an internet connecvtion. Suggestions?

Router Connection address [ 2 Answers ]

Why can't I connect to 192.168.0.1?

Loseing router connection [ 3 Answers ]

I have a dell c510 lapptop with comcast service. I have installed a belkin g plus mimo notebook card have made sure it is ativated every thing works good in same room with router. but when I go to next room I lose singnal .I live in reg house with 2x4 walls with drywall the router is a netgear...

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

Router looses connection [ 5 Answers ]

I'm running an FTP site (SERVU ftp 6.0) and I keep losing connection? I'm routing through no-ip (no-ip.com) using a dynamic connection and static on the router fixed ip on the nic.Now my problem is I have to reset the ip on passive mode every time my ip changes on the router (world). I tried all...

View more questions Search