Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bailey3012 Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Jan 10, 2011, 11:47 AM
    Are we related?
    My dad cousin is my friends dads brother r we related?? If so how far down r we related and if its like 3rd/4th cousin is it legal to have a relasionship ***?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 10, 2011, 03:57 PM

Let's see - "my dad's cousin is my friend's dad's brother." Which means your friend's dad is also a cousin of your father (assuming that by the word "brother" you didn't mean "half-brother.") Which means your dad and your friend's dad have a common set of grand parents, and your friend and you have a common set of great grandparents. You are second cousins. As for have a relationship - I am not aware of any prohibitions in the US regarding 2nd cousins.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2011, 11:26 AM

Your Dad's cousin is your first cousin once removed, I believe. It would be improper to have a relationship with him. He and your father share grandparents so it's a close genetic connection. It would also be considered weird socially and is not really worth it.

Also, your friend's dad's brother is an entirely different generation from yours - another reason it' inappropriate.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 12, 2011, 11:31 AM

I think the OP is aking whether its appropriate for the OP to have relationship with his friend, not with his friend's dad's brother. Hence it's a question about relationshops between 2nd cousins.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I related to? [ 3 Answers ]

I know this sounds dumb, but I don't know what the true answer is. Ok, would I be related to my mothers, nephews wife's, brothers, son?

Are We related? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have found out recently that I have the same aunty and cousin as someone and I was wonder how we are related. The aunty is my dad's sister and the cousin is her son. The other person which I have found out about recently is related via my aunty's husband side which is effectly my uncle's...

Are we related? [ 2 Answers ]

I've been knowing this guy for a while and I really like him. But he has the same last name as my brother (my dad's son). I asked him if he was related to him and he said no, but you really never know these days. So my question is do you know of a way I could find out for sure if I am related to...

How are we related? [ 4 Answers ]

My grandfather and their great-grandfather were the same person. How are we related? Thanks

Are We Related:(? [ 7 Answers ]

This sucks really bad. My G/f just told me she was at a family dinner at someone who I was believed to be related to also... Here's the deal I am 6th Cousins with a man. This man happens to be my girlfriends Step grandmothers brother. Are we related? This is very important and help would be...

View more questions Search