Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maltexx Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2011, 11:30 AM
    Question about moving/taxes (resident/non-resident/part-resident status)
    Hi,

I recently moved from DC to New York for work, but between leases I moved back home with my parents for a month in NJ. I'm a little confused what forms I need to fill out. My situation was:

Lived/Worked in DC from Jan - Mid-Nov (Should require the DC Resident Return)
    Lived in NJ/Worked in NY Mid-Nov - Mid-Dec
    Lived in NY/Worked in NY Mid-Dec - End Dec (Would require the NY Resident Return)

I'm confused about what to make of the middle segment (obviously its not very much income consider it's a month) but it seems like that would be a NJ Resident & NY Non-Resident form?

Am I on the right track or have I just confused myself? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 10, 2011, 11:35 AM

Any income earned while present in a state must be reported to that state.
    In the state where you live or your resident state, you must report your worldwide income during the period. This state is your tax home.

In the state that is not your tax home, report income you earned while in that state.
    In the state that is your tax home, report your worldwide income for full year. Also in this state claim credit for the taxes paid to the other state. Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 10, 2011, 11:52 AM
    Okay, ALL of the income has to be reported on your federal return. Report the moving expenses from DC to NY on Form 3903 to deduct those expenses; for purposes of the move, completely disregard New Jersey.

The DC income has to be reported on the DC return.

Techincally, you should file NJ and NY returns. However, the amount of income for the times (four weeks for NJ and two weeks for NY) will probably EXEMPT you from filing NJ and NY returns because the amount earned is so low. If NJ and NY state taxes were withheld, you probably would want to file those returns to get that withheld money back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F-1 student, unsure about resident/non-resident alien status for taxes [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I was in the US on a J-1 visa from May-July 2005, and came back in August 2006 on a F-1 visa. I am still on the F-1 visa. I was wondering if I should be filing taxes as a resident alien or a non-resident alien for tax year 2010? Thanks for your help.

Dual status return non resident single and resident married filing [ 1 Answers ]

I was on F1-OPT till oct-2009 (exempt) and hence was considered non resident for tax purposes. I moved to H1B and am currently employed under this visa. Since I spent > 183 days in the US I am a resident for tax purposes from oct-dec 2009. I think I should file dual status tax return for this tax...

North Carolina Non-Resident Vs Part-time resident [ 2 Answers ]

We purchased a second home in North Carolina in July. I stayed a week in NC and went back to my main home in Florida. In September I put our condo in Florida for sale. At the end of September I got a job in NC. I quite my job in Florida and start working in NC end of September. Our condo sold...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

View more questions Search